1959 Sea King throttle gears

countryboy71

Recruit
We need the throttle gears on the motor. its a 1959 Sea King made by Gale Products its a 35hp. i just need 2 know where i can find the parts. what would the oil mix be 24:1 or 16:1 i think. any help would be the most of help thank u!! the modle number is GG8997C and the
serial number is 95x758818
,Thank You
Shane

iowafisher

Cadet
Re: 1959 Sea King throttle gears

why don't u try contacting Franzmarine.com he should be able to help you

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

They are the same on Johnson/Evinrudes of that size range from the mid 50s to early 70s. Try tcoutboard.com or just about any dealer that keeps old motors around for parts.

You can run 50:1.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I'd be carefull running a Gale at 50:1 unless you are sure the piston pin is a roller bearing as found on the later (1960 up)E/J motors.Also My info from a 50 year OMC dealer is 50:1 back to 1960 on larger motors.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

There are almost always tiller handles/gear sets for the old OMC's and other brands on the auction site...Schmebay. Are yours broken or just bound up? If just bound up, someone may have pulled the tiller off and gotten it back on out of whack.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I have a parts manual that shows your motor. The crank has all needle bearings on the mains, rods, and wrist pins. Frankly I was expecting bushings on the upper main and no needles on the wrist pins, but was pleasantly suprised. If you want to be safe, 32:1 would be fine, but use J6C Champions instead of J4C. :)

countryboy71

Recruit

the bottom gear broke in half so i need new ones. Are the gears called the tiller gears so i know what 2 ask for? i also need the pin that the bottom gear slides onto its the pin with the two flat tabs on both sides? so if anyone knows the names of the parts it would be a big help. im sry about the bad descriptions im giving but this is my first boat. Thanks alot!
,Shane

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Evidently you have the tiller kit installed, as that model did not come from the factory with one. So, that brings up a question: Are the gears stamped brass or are they cast bronze? They should be cast, unless the tiller kit is older than the motor. The gears are not compatable with each other. If you have one cast, they must both be cast, etc.
The part numbers are 377273 for the short one and 376693, changed to 377944 for the long one. They are called "gear and shaft assembly". The gears must be purchased with the shafts, don't come separately.

Just for the record, thre was a major change in the powerhead bearings in the middle of 1959. You have the newer version. It is a Gale model 35DE12. Oil mix is 24:1.

countryboy71

Recruit

yea they are cast. so the shaft and gears come together. bcs we took it apart and the gear came off the shaft like it was seperate but the pin was broken. So the whole shaft and gears come together that would include both of the gears bcs there are 2 one is broke and the other is worn out. Thanks for all the help guys it is a major help!!
,Shane

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The two gears where the tiller handle pivots come with their shafts. I figured that was the ones you need. The small bevel gear at the aft end of the short gear/shaft is a separate part. That one is part number 303142