Sea Foam??

kiksav

Cadet
Ok, I went out and purchased 4 cans of Sea Foam for my 95 gallon tank. I can't seam to stop my bogging down problem on my 200 HP carb Merc (although intermitant). I have added the Sea Foam to the tank, yet would like to pump some into the carbs direct. Everyone tells me this can be a disaster if you put carb solvent directly into the carbs. By passing the oil will fry the cylinders I have been told.
Is this product as good as it sounds or am I destined to tear the carbs down? Anyone out there who has used Sea Foam give me a shout!!
Thanks!, Mitch

gss036

Commander
Re: Sea Foam??

Amost kick off time for the Seahawks, so will do a quick response. I use SeaFoam all the time, it is not a miracle product, and has been around a long time. If you want to do a strong dose, use a portable tank. I do this w/3 gal tank once a year decarbing my Merc 200 hp carbed engine. The best mix is about 1 can per 1/2-3/4 gallon of gas. Run about 15 minutes and let it sit for about 1/2 hr and repeat 3 to 4 times. If that doesn't do it, you have other problems and may have to rebuild your carbs.
Are you bogging down or loosing a cylinder or 2 when accelerating? Do you have good water/fuel seperating filter in line? How is your priming bulb/ does squeezeing it help? If you replace do not buy anything but OEM. Either Merc or OMC. If so, it maybe time to rebuild your fuel pump. It is simple and cheap to do. Could be you are not getting enough fuel through the carbs due to a weak fuel pump.

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

You would be hard pressed to find someone on here who DID NOT use seafoam!

Spraying seafoam in to the carbs will only break down carbon in the cylinders, not clean the carbs. If you suspect dirty carbs you need to take them off, soak and clean or rebuild. My personal preference is to rebuild. If I am going to take them off, I might as well rebuild them as you are already a third of the way there! It will help keep them clean once they are clean though..I add it to every tank on mine!

kiksav

Cadet

Gentleman, I appreciate the replys. I have replaced the fuel pump, primer bulb and all fuel filters. The check valve on the tank is ok. The bogging down is intermitant. Fuel is clean and fresh and I use stabil as well as some marvel mystery and star tron in the tank. The star tron has cut down on smoking to an almost unbeliveable level.

I'm getting close to the carb rebuild, but I think that I will let my mechanic do the job. (too many small parts)

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Mitch

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gentleman, I appreciate the replys. I have replaced the fuel pump, primer bulb and all fuel filters. The check valve on the tank is ok. The bogging down is intermitant. Fuel is clean and fresh and I use stabil as well as some marvel mystery and star tron in the tank. The star tron has cut down on smoking to an almost unbeliveable level.

I'm getting close to the carb rebuild, but I think that I will let my mechanic do the job. (too many small parts)

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Mitch

I would not trust a car mechanic to do a carb rebuild on a boat. If you HAVE to take it to a mechanic, let it be a BOAT mechanic. Although...trust me, ,,if you get a factory service manual, and you are capable of changing your own car oil, then you can rebuild your carbs!! it is NOT that difficult!

saltfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im getting a boat with a 1988 black max 150hp. I dont think it ever had any seafoam or any kind of gas treatment, or anything like that. It has a 36 gallon gas tank. I would like to put some in the gas. How much should I put in? Or should I get a smaller 5 gallon or 3 gallon container and give it a smaller more potent dose? It wont hurt anything on the motor right? I did it to 3 of my cars (ran through vacuum system) and my town was covered in thick smoke for about 15 minutes. All the cars ran like brand new, better gas mileage, and had more power.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The following FAQ has some very good information on using Seafoam to decarb a motor.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158076

To decarb, I use 1 can of Seafoam per gallon of gas in a 3 gallon portable tank. I feel it is not practical or economic to add this much Seafoam to a regular large fuel tank for decarb purposes.

For use as a gas additive in your regular fuel tank, I follow the instructions on the Seafoam can. I recall that it suggests 1 can per 20 gallons of fuel, or so.