1978 470 Coolant Leak

mainexile

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello All,

For those who tolerated me during the Electrical Nightmare, those problems are solved. Today I started it up on muffs and, for the first time, let the engine come up to operating temp. When the thermostat opened, coolant started leaking from somewhere on the lower portion of the water pump. I can't see exactly where it's leaking from because this engine has the conversion kit for a one-wire alternator and the harmonic balancer is huge and it's blocking the lower view of the water pump. That being said, I suspect that it's leaking from the drip hole (as opposed to the weep hole). Coolant runs along the outside top edge of the oil pan and the down the starboard side of the oil pan into the bilge. From previous posts, I'm guessing that I have a leaking outer seal. Previous owner made no mention of this (of course), and I foolishly bought it "as is". I have completely overhauled and rebuilt several car engines, so the prospect of doing the work doesn't scare me...except for a mention in a thread from the distant past that indicated I should loosen the front motor mount and take the weight off the engine. I don't have access to a hoist, chain fall, or engine lift. Is that step absolutely necessary. And other than that, are there any other pitfalls (or land mines) I should watch out for?

Thanks guys,
Steve

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1978 470 Coolant Leak

Yes, you have to support the engine. If you don't. and it drops, how do you think you will get the motor mount back on????????
Even if you did take it off, you would probably destroy the coupler (at least) and have to pull the engine anyway to replace that $300 part.
A small hydraulic jack, a porta-power and some blocking would do it. But DO NOT let it hang on it's own. You won't like the outcome.

mainexile

Petty Officer 1st Class

DonS,

I understand what you're telling me about the need to support the engine when it's disconnected from the motor mount. My question is: Is it really necessary to disconnect the mount...and why?

Thanks again,
Steve

mainexile

Petty Officer 1st Class

C'mon guys,

Someone out there must have done this before (swap out water pump seal and front seal) . All I need to know is whether or not I can do the repair without disconnecting the front motor mount. If not, what is the mount interfering with that mandates its removal. Please, someone talk to me.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

mainexile

Petty Officer 1st Class

Has anyone successfully removed the timing chain cover without damaging the oil pan gasket?

bago

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did that repair recently.Depending on the style of the front mount console you may be able to dismantle the timing chain cover and replace the leaking cam seals without having to support the engine and geopardise the engine alignment.You have to remove the front oil pan bolts and slacken the others neighboring the time chain cover.Before pulling the cover try very gently with a thin knife to release the cork oil pan gasket from the TC cover,so that you don`t tear it while pulling out the cover.Work slowly and get yourself puller \ installer for the harmonic ballancer.

mainexile

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bago,

Thanks for the response. You told me exactly what I need to know. I'll roll the dice and try to do it without pulling the motor mount. The oil pan gasket has me worried, but I'll do my best impression of a neurosurgeon with an Exacto knife to separate the gasket from the timing chain cover. I'll provide a status report once I start dismantling this week.

Thanks again,
Steve :)

mainexile

Petty Officer 1st Class

The cover is off!! And I didn;t have to remove the front motor mount. Now, I'm just waiting for the parts to arrive so that I can reassemble the engine and maybe salvage the upcoming holiday weekend. Thanks to all who viewed or provided feedback.

Steve :)

bago

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Inspect the nose of the camshaft for grooves and if any signifficant you go for speedy sleeves or relocate the position of the seals on the TC cover.There are a few very informative posts on those matters in this forum.

mainexile

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bago,

Thanks for the tip. I have already contacted a local bearing distributor who carries the Speedi Sleeves. I'll let you know how the repairs came out.

Steve