battery care and trolling batteries

aggiedave98

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just got a new I/O deck boat with 1 main battery and 2 batteries for the trolling motor.

It's got an onboard charger for the trolling batteries. I'm assuming the way it works is the alternator is only charging the main battery right? Then you troll with the other 2 batteries and they drain down. Then you get home and charge them up right?

Do I need to get a trickle charger for the main battery? What about for the trolling motor batteries? Let's say I go a couple of months between using it? How does that change things.

thanks.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: battery care and trolling batteries

Yes recharge your TM batteries after every use. I have a 3 bank onboard charger that keeps the TM batteries and starting battery topped off. When I get home I plug it in and forget it until next time to go. Sure makes life easier.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Charge those trolling batteries soon as possible when you get home - the less time spent in a discharged state, the longer they'll last. If you don't have a smart charger with a maintain mode, just recharge 'em every couple-three weeks if you don't use 'em. I check the voltage on my cranking battery every once in awhile, just in case, but it's never needed recharging.

I assume that's a 24-volt troller - guess you know to charge those batteries one at a time with a 12V charger - or get a 2-bank charger.

aggiedave98

Petty Officer 1st Class

sorry for the long delay. thanks. i have a built in onboard 2 bank charger for the trolling motors but not the main battery.