Fridge quit fridging. What to check?

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
Got up this morning and everything in my fridge was warm. The light's coming on and I turned it up but the motor never kicked on.:confused: Is there something that I can check before I fork out a ton of money for a new one? Thanks.

spots

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fridge quit fridging. What to check?

I have no intention of being a wise guy, but check the date of purchase. If it's an old one, shop around. Unless you have to impress the In-Laws, friends, or neighbors look in the classified ads or Craigslist for newer used units.

Death, Divorce, Relocation, and Foreclosures are always on your side. You can get a great refrigerator for $.20-.25 on the dollar.

i386

Captain

Ours had similar symptoms about a month ago. Since I don't know anything about 'em I just called the appliance repair guy. It turned out to be an $8 relay and $60 for the service call.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Clean the coils and everything with a vacuum. It just may have overheated.... I agree that maybe checking the sales flyers might be on the list too. I have found that appliance repairs to be cheap but who wants to risk ruining all the food.

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have had luck with unplugging them for an hour or so and plugging them back in. As Bob said check and vacc everything.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

When the condenser part gets dirty it will cause the unit to run excessively more. When it gets too hot, the the compressor will kick out on thermal protection. Some units have a small fan that fails and will do the same thing.
A good indication of a clogged condensor is the notice of a lot of heat in and around the compressor.

If it is all clean, it could be two other things, the stat or the defrost timer. If the inside of the freezer seemed to get hotter than room temp, I would suspect the defrost timer is stuck in the defrost mode. The stat can be checked with a meter for continuity.

I love it when people toss out $500 plus units because of a small part that failed. Sorta like selling your car because it got a flat.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Well, as I was cleaning out the luke-warm food I looked in the back of the fridge and noticed a seperate off switch... which one of my extra special retard children had decided to flip.:mad:

It's alive again. -and I finally found that jar of bacon bits I've been looking for.

Thanks,
spots

i386

Captain

Hah! Glad it was no biggie :)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

That doesn't surprise me one bit. Most of my repairs is due to someone unplugging or re-adjusting the temp controls. Dang kids, I don't play with their toys so why should they play with mine...:D