Carver Voyager listing to port side??

aholgate

Cadet
Hey everyone,

I hope someone can help with this interesting issue I have. I bought a 28' Carver Voyager and the boat is for the most part empty. It has two 75 gal gas tanks one on each side. Galley and head on the port side. Fresh water and holding tank in center.

I am listing to the port side about 5". The gas tanks are very close in level and there is no water in the bildge area except for the stern where there is about an inch or less. If I move onto the swim platform and walk to the starboard side, I can for the most part get it back to normal.

Could there possibly be water in the hull on the port side?? I mean not where it's visable?

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Carver Voyager listing to port side??

Could there possibly be water in the hull on the port side?? I mean not where it's visable?

You'll have to do a little more thorough inspection. Where are the batteries located? Is the hot water heater full? etc. If all that fails look in the cubby holes under the bunks and storage on the outboard sides of the boat. If all that fails you might have an encapsulated space that's become saturated. The only way to find those is with a drill. Our boat had two encapsulated spaces joined to the stringers. One side became saturated with water (foam filled) from rain water getting in the engine air intake. It took me awhile to find the cause of the list (leaning of the boat to one side). I had to cut the compartment open and remove the saturated foam. That cured the list.

Good luck.

PS. If all that fails move the beer cooler to the opposite side of the boat! ;o)

aholgate

Cadet

You'll have to do a little more thorough inspection. Where are the batteries located? Is the hot water heater full? etc. If all that fails look in the cubby holes under the bunks and storage on the outboard sides of the boat. If all that fails you might have an encapsulated space that's become saturated. The only way to find those is with a drill. Our boat had two encapsulated spaces joined to the stringers. One side became saturated with water (foam filled) from rain water getting in the engine air intake. It took me awhile to find the cause of the list (leaning of the boat to one side). I had to cut the compartment open and remove the saturated foam. That cured the list.

Good luck.

PS. If all that fails move the beer cooler to the opposite side of the boat! ;o)

We the beer cooler COULD be the problem not yet. No cooler on board because I'm trying to get the issues resolved before i feel comfortable having a relaxing drink!

How ever... You have my interest by the foam thing. Aren't Carver boats foam filled? The bunks etc. are on the starboard side and again the boat is for the most part empty as stated. The water heater "maybe" filed I don't know but I seriously don't think so as the boat was put up for winter a long time ago. It is on the Port side though so I'll check it.

When you say compartment. Where did you find this thing? I bought my boat flooded and I think you are onto something but I need more assistance. I have the engine compt. empy, then you go into the sliding door and to the port side is the head. On the floor under this is the port side v-drive unit (no water anywhere). Ahead of the shower is the dinning area and under this are drawers. I've had them out and all you see is the side of the boat, again no water. In the fore seating area under the dinning is a water heater I would say 15 to 20 gal at the most. That's 160 lbs or so and if full I don't think would cause that much of a list because it's into the center more where it wouldn't have the weight enough. But could contribute to this however! Ahead of this is the helm and has a small compartment below in the floor and again you can see the shell of the boat and no water. Ahead of this is the berthing area with a sink on the port side and a cabinet under it with nothing in it.

So where oh were are thou weight?

aholgate

Cadet

FYI: Not sure if I included this information. The boat listes to the Port side while sitting still, unloaded, no gear on board, gas tanks filled to similar levels, no water to be seen.

Hope that helps some. If someone can let me know where some "Foam" may be I can look for that but I thought I knew where everything was in the boat and I don't remember seeing any foam.

aqua

Recruit

I have the same boat and also notice a bit of listing to port, though sounds like not as much as yours. My guess is that it is the head, second helm, water heater that are on the port side that add a bit of weight. I use my trim tabs to level it out.