Removing trim unit question-Any JohnRude Techs?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
After trying to fix my trim leak with no luck i ended up buying another unit from a newer model Evinrude.
Question is does the engine need to come off the boat to swap this out?
I have all the bolts out but can't get it out past the transom bracket.
The resevior on the right side will not come out past the engine bracket..The Factory manual shows just leaning it back and it comes out.....WRONG!
This is on my 175 Johnson

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Removing trim unit question-Any JohnRude Techs?

Bump!............;)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Even on the newer motors that it will (should) come out of it's, most times, easier to take the motor off and remove one stern bracket.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

looks like i'ts off again. that tree is going to get tired of it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Gary just remove the bolts for the port side stern bracket, disconnect your steering , slide the port bracket to the left, then slide the trim unit out, no need to take your motor off. Just make sure the motor is supported since it will only have 1 bracket holding it.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Hey Gary,
I had the same problem with the trim assembly on my 115, I just removed the transom bracket bolts on one side ,(I think I may have loosened up the tilt tube nut too),and spread the brackets apart slightly. With a little encouragement, it finally popped out from between the brackets. Getting it back in wasn't that bad.
Good luck!
Dave

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks Guys!
Its on and working:D

The new unit had a slim resevoir on it so it went in no problem. It was off of a mid 90's Rude.
To get the old one off i took the bolts out and tilted it enough to take the 3 screws out of the resevoir and took it off.It slid out no problem then.
The new unit has a larger motor than the old one.Its runs faster in the tilt mode too...

NO TREE THIS TIME AND NO REMOVING ENGINE BOLTS...:D:D

I think i'll name the engine Frankenmotor...half Johnson half Rude:rolleyes:

Working in 97 degrees and 70% humidity is SO FUN!!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Good job, i was hoping i didnt miss you and you were out there hooking that motor up to the tree in this heat, lol ;) Glad you're up and running

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks HighTrim. Yea,it was only an hour or so job.Trim is working flawless now.
Its going in the lake this weekend if i have to do a night fishing trip because of the heat.;)