How to brighten old galvanize

jimpittman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I may be wasting my time and creating problems for my self. I just purchased a used galvanized boat Trailer. the galvanize has dulled. Is there any way to brighten the old galvanize without harming the galvanize protection? If you have any experience with this please reply.
Thanks
jimpittman

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to brighten old galvanize

Not really, any polishing is just removing more of the protective layer.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

That dull color is the zinc oxide that's protecting your trailer. Even if you did remove some of the zinc to make it shiny again it would dull in a matter of days.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If it is dull but not rusty then the galvanised coating is doing it's job. Leave it alone unless you want to have rust issues.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you can always paint it. but then you get into maintainance of keeping up the paint. like it is all you have to do is rinse it off.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Don't paint it!.
For those of us old enough to remember galvanized roof gutters know that paint don't like to stick to galvanized stuff.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Don't paint it!.
For those of us old enough to remember galvanized roof gutters know that paint don't like to stick to galvanized stuff.

I will second that motion. Special primer first and even then it does a half decent job.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

My fenders were starting to rust so i scuffed them up and put 3 coats of truck bed liner on them.So far it is sticking great and gives me a non skid surface to step on.I was considering doing the frame too. looks better than the dull rusty spots and should last forever..(I hope)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

construction secret, galvanized wash down with vinegar, then paint. has always worked.

jimpittman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the help.
I think I will wash it down with vinager and paint any bad spots.
One idea I had was to spray coat the trailer top and bpttom with the same liquid plastic that I dip my trawl nets in. This stuff is tenacious and adhears to most any surface. It is liquid plastic that is cut with a solvent. when the solvent evaporates the plastic dries.
Thanks again for all of your concern for my request.
jimpittman