89 125 force choke selenoid working?

dmas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
the choke shutter on '89 125 force it's always wide open, it's supposed to be this way? how do I know if the choke solenoid is working? thanks

Attachments

• DSCN0749.JPG
    DSCN0749.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0750.JPG
    DSCN0750.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 1

artic-z

Cadet
Re: 89 125 force choke selenoid working?

Hey, on my 1988 , 85hp Force the electric choke is a green wire coming off of my ignition switch. get a cheap voltage tester or a thing that looks like an ice pick with an alligator ground clip on the other side and ground the alligator clip on the steering or somewhere thats grounded on the boat then put the shap pointy end on the green wire and press your ignition in to choke it. the light inside the test should turn on if its working. very simple.

now if the light doesnt work that doesnt mean the choke soilnoid's busted it just means the switch possible doesnt work. so i then grab 2 peices of wire, about a foot long each then i i connect one to a power source on my fuse panel then connect the other too the green line on the ignition switch and see if it works then ( in my case it did and i just rigged up a push button choke above my ignition switch)

just narrow stuff down 1 by 1...just takes a little drive and a power tester to see if its getting juice..

dmas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 89 125 force choke solenoid working?

thanks artic-z, another dumb question, what is the function of the solenoid and when it's supposed to work, when you start the engine? does the choke shutter has to be always wide open?

17force85

Cadet

i believe the chock should only open when you push the button... on my 1989 85 hp force you can see and hear the solinoid extend and retract when pushing the button.... hook a power source up to the solinoid and see if it moves if it doesn't than you need a new one if it does your problem is in the wiring or the switch itself

Nate3172

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The choke, unless it is being energized, is allways in the wide open position. If you push the ignition switch in and the choke soleniod does not activate into the closed position for cold starting than it is non-operational. Put a test light to the green wire on the solenoid and push the ignition switch in. If the light lights up than you have power to the solenoid and the the solenoid is faulty. If it does not light up than there is a break in the circuit somewhere or the ignition switch is faulty.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I own a Force 125. Turn on the key and then push it in, if its working you will hear a click, if you have the cover off you will see the butterflys close. If this dosen't happen then you will need to do the test light thing. The butterflys in your carbs stay open when the motor is running, the only time they will close is when you push the key in to start. When you power up the butterflys close a little more thus forceing more fuel into the carbs for more speed. Closeing the butterflys is to pull more fuel into the carbs for starting, this gets fuel into the cylenders so you can get it to fire and start.

Hope this helps.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Yep, ya gotta turn the key and PUSH! Hear the click?

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

click click yes

Kajun37

Petty Officer 1st Class

dmas..where you located? i have a 18 sport also..1990...had a 90' force 120hp on it before i blew a piston....has a 140 johnson on it now...i got another powerhead for my force so it might go back on it..the 140 is too heavy

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I Like the new avatar pic Kajun

Kajun37

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks Baxtr..thats my new 63' merc 500...she's a keeper :)

dmas

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thank you guys for all the replies, this is a great website..I will check with the light, I haven't seen that butterfly moving and haven't heard any click, so probably isn't working, and kajun I'm in Fort Lauderdale where are you at?

dmas

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey guys, the solenoid was working fine, I was the problem because I didn't know that I had to push the bottom In..sorry I'm new at boating and the guy that sold me the boat didn't say nothing about it..but the the weird thing is that my engine never needed that, always start after 2 o 3 key turns, also when I've tried to use the choke solenoid what I do is turn the key, push the button In, keep it pushed and start the engine..and that didn't work because the top carburetor was spitting fuel while I was doing that, so I guess I will not use it again..

dmas

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey Kajun-37, what was the top speed on your wellcraft 18' Sport when you had the 120 force on it? I know this boat weights 2200 lbs dry without engine and gear, mine don't go over 34-35 Mph, measured by GPS

Kajun37

Petty Officer 1st Class

my top speed with just me in it not loaded down with too much gear.....35mph....i have a 140 johnson on it now..25"motor on a 20" transom so i had to put a 40lb jackplate on it......i only got it to 40mph with minimal load...but i think it would do more if it was able to be trimmed/rigged correctly...but its as high as i can put it and the caviation plate is causing some drag.....i have a huge rooster tail because of it.........with 2 people..loaded with fishing gear and 3/4 tank of gas....35mph :(......but really 35mph is as fast as you need to go ...

i'm gonna try a 96' merc 115 on it soon....and i got a 125hp powerhead to replace my blown 120 powerhead...i'll prob see which one runs the best on it and get rid of the johnson.

i'm in panama city,fl.....check your private messages....

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Back to the choke thing, I kept blowing fuses when activating the choke. So, to determine if choke was bad I ran another power source to the choke and it still works the butterflies fine. But still blows fuses when using the switch. What is this telling me? Bad switch? If the choke solinoid was bad would it not work at all, even with another power source? I'm still puzzled with this thats why I havn't ordered another solinoid for $34.00.

Sanka22

Recruit
Sorry just seen that I can't ask questions on somebody else post how do I start my own?