spiders

310LARSON

Seaman Apprentice
not sure if this has been touched before but here goes. what is everyone out there doing to prevent/kill spiders around the dock and on their boat?

eriediver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: spiders

Some people spray, but they have just as many as those of us who don't. I haven't found anything that works yet. I just kill em/flick em off the boat one at a time.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,........ A good ole Corn Broom here.......

ziggy

Admiral

i'm no big fan of spiders thats for sure. but aint they actually benifical? don't they catch them nasty mosquitos and eat them?

according to my bug man that comes around monthly. he says spiders are very hard to kill. as they walk above any poison that may be applied around where their at......

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if your boat is covered, set off an insect bomb periodicly. i use them for ants take fall out of the trees.

_brad_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I second the bug bombs!

I covered and bombed my 16 footer with bug bombs to kill a nest of wasps!

Let her smoke for a while, pulled the cover...

All dead.

moterboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

the way I kill spiders and other unwanted pest is a electronic fly swatter,its about the size of a tennis rackett and you hold the button in and just touch them with it and you hear a loud pop,and thier fried. runs off a 9 volt battery.. Im wondering if it would be any good for catching more fish??
I quit dynamite fishing...

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Spiders are okay, but for a few. Know what resides in your area and know how to ID black widows and brown recluse spiders. Nasty and sometimes deadly/destructive bites..for you or others.

eriediver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the way I kill spiders and other unwanted pest is a electronic fly swatter,its about the size of a tennis rackett and you hold the button in and just touch them with it and you hear a loud pop,and thier fried. runs off a 9 volt battery.. Im wondering if it would be any good for catching more fish??

That sounds like a fun toy for messing with my annoying friends:D

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Our marina is overrun with spiders. We've found the best solution is to lightly spray the boat and docklines with Ortho "Home Defense Max". It's odorless and doesn't stain, but keeps all the bugs away for 3-4 weeks. A lot of my dockmates use it with great results. We are all very careful not to use too much or get any into the water.
Life onboard is even better with no spiders!

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class

A longer leader might help...:D

Like roaches , there are probably a 100 spiders unseen for everyone you do see .
Also , spiders are extremely resistant to the majority of consumer "bug bombs" out there .
My advise is to use the glue traps , as they are far more effective than most aeresol and liquid spray pesticides .

Personaly , I don't worry about spiders unless they are Brown Recluses or Black Widows , then I go on a killing rampage .:D
I've been bitten several times by Recluses , and , it is no fun at all , I assure you .

I also despise wasps/yellow jackets /hornets /bumble bees .
They are all evil hell spawn demons and must ALL DIE ! :mad:

I once saw a couple of poor souls who took thier boat out one crisp autumn morning , and got a nasty surprise .
The boat had sat all summer , under a tarp and unused .
There was a touch of frost in the air when they launched , but the temperature quickly rose into the 70's , and awoke the nightmare sleeping in thier bow .

The warming temperature and slamming from the waves suddenly brought forth a swarm of HORNETS , in full attack mode .
One guy only got a few stings , the other recieved more than 50 stings before he took the hint to abandon ship .

Several boats in the area rushd over to help , as the boat and it's evil stowaways wandered aimlessly around the cove , at a slow troll .
The men were ok , but could have been far worse off .
The boat eventually beached itself , but was unaproachable untill the temperature dropped to below 40 .

The owner threw a tarp over the boat , pitched in 2 bug bombs , and returned the next evening .
His body count was over 3,000 hornets , and a nest bigger than a 5 gallon bucket ! :eek:

I bet he now does a THOROUGH pre-launch check every time .;)

moterboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

That sounds like a fun toy for messing with my annoying friends:D

if your intrested in purchasing one of these toys,I got it at harbor freight,
if you don't have these in your area,go to www.harborfreight.com , they are out of california, it was on sale for $4.99 batt not included.. great for keeping the ol dog in line too..lol. its a good zapper...:D