what to do with a mooring bouy with no boat?

italielor

Recruit
Hi. We just moved to a lake and have been given the opportunity to rent a mooring bouy close to our home. There is typically a 10+ year waiting list for bouys so I feel fortunate. We would need to accept or decline the offer in the next week or two.

The problem is we do not own a boat and do not foresee getting one for at least 3 years (children are still a bit too young, and we are not ready for the responsibility of a boat). I really look forward to learning how to sail in the near future.

Our choice is to either let the opportunity pass and regret it a couple years down the road or just pay up now (annual fee is not overly expensive, but should make sense nonetheless).

Now here is the big question: If we were to rent it, are there other options to using the bouy (instead of for a sailboat or other boat)? The lake does not permit engines (sailboats and electric boats are typical). Not sure if this is absurd, but I just thought about the possibility of purchasing the base of a sailboat, with nothing in it, so we could use it for swimming to and/or spending time on with family or friends (particularly as the geese have taken over the shore, making swimming or sitting there unpleasant). I often see sailors just hanging out in the boats and not sailing, but I wouldn't want to stick out like a sore thumb in this strong sailing community.

Any ideas on a sailboat alternatives with not much maintenance? A friend mentioned a floating dock. I haven't looked into it, but I don't think this would be allowed (or everyone would use it, thinking it was for public access).

Thank you for any ideas on this rather absurd question!

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: what to do with a mooring bouy with no boat?

Can you sub-lease them?

studlymandingo

Commander

Your question certainly isn't absurd. I would say that if you are planning to get a boat in the future, you plan to stay where you are, and mooring sites are truly that hard to come by, then it would make sense to go ahead and get the site. If there is a waiting list for a spot, then I am sure you can rent it out to cover your costs until you are ready to take the plunge.

The idea of getting a boat might not be bad, just be aware that bug bites swiftly and hard!!!​

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

The only problem I see, is that if the geese have greased up your beach, they won't hesitate to grease up a boat. Anything that sticks up out of the water needs lubricant in a gooses mind. But, I would say get a large jon boat or toon, and moor it there without a motor, and use it as a swim platform. A good enough tarp should keep the geese off, or else, you could come pay me to hunt it.:D (not that I would shoot a canadian goose or nothing)

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Geese are more work than they're worth.

Some 3" BB's usually makes them move on to the next property