Boating on massachusets coast

jarata

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is there anytown on the coast of massachusetts that i can takea an 18ft bowrider.thanks

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boating on massachusets coast

I'm watching this too........I hear of many that lead to bays and sand bars but can never find a definitive answer

Walpole

Cadet

I am from Massachusetts as well. Have a 21 foot bow rider. I have a friend that takes his 19 foot bow rider out on the Cape all the time. I can find out where he puts it in. He takes a couple of trips up and down the canal and then heads out to a sand bar on the "bay" side of the canal and spends the day.

I take my boat down the Point Judith Rhode Island. Wife is from RI. This is the same port that the ferry leaves for Block Island. From Walpole Mass it is a 1 hour and 15 minute ride and not nearly the traffic you would have on the Cape. There is a public dock and a short trip out to the "break" wall where there is a sand bar at low tide. Point Judith is kinda small but you would feel safe in a 18 footer. Fishing is not bad either.

Let me know if you want any more details on either of the above two locations.

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class

I certainly don't want to hijack any threads but I would love more info. Maybe pm me or if jarata is ok with it you could elaborate here.

I have also heard about a place near Misqumicut, would this be the same place?

Also how far is Fisher's Island?

crestapre

Seaman Apprentice

On the Norht Shore we have:

Salem MA: Winter Island ramp with plenty of parking in Salem Sound

Salem/Beverly MA: Kernwood Marina ramp mid river leading to Beverly Harbor

Danvers MA: Popes Landing ramp at begining of Danvers River leading to Beverly Harbor

Gloucester MA: behind Gloucester High school ramp on the Annisquam river

Manchester MA: Small ramp and limited parking

roozterdvx

Seaman

I'm orig. from Mass., spent alot of time out there in a 17CC, and buddy's 23WA...

In Cape Cod...
Bourne, Rt.28, Mako's Bait and Tackle has a ramp, great flounder fishing around the Mass. Maritime Academy ship in Buttermilk Bay, lots of water to explore, south/west entrance to Cape Cod Canal, Various beaches including Onset
Over the Bourne or Sagamore Bridges, Rt 28A(I think), ramp at the north/east end of the Canal just before and across from Sucusset Beach, can be a little hard to find but it's a good ramp/marina and the locals can give you directions, excelent mackeral fishing around the jetties, (during the 2 weeks around Mother's Day), blues, and stipers follow, + rock bass(tataug),
You can cruise the Canal from either of the 2 ramps but the latter puts you in the Canal where the first you goe through Buttermilk Bay to get there, (not a huge bay or difficult but watch the channel, there's a huge sandbar around the Maritime Academy)

Plymouth...
I used the Plymouth town ramp many times, can get a little crowded but exc. ramp and decent parking. Watch the channels in Plymouth Harbor, if you get out, you find yourself in mudflats. Exc. sightseeing with the Maflower, Plymouth Rock, access to Duxbury beaches as well as Plymouth beaches. Exc. fishing once out of the harbor and headed toward Manomet and the powerplant. Used to scuba for lobster and crab around the powerplant too, seems they're attracted to the warm water used for cooling.

Boston...
Never used a ramp in the Boston area, (buddy kept his boat in wet slip at the Dorchester Yacht Club)
South Bay, lots to see and do, islands with Revolutionary War forts and gun emplacements, most with visitor docks and amenities so you can get out and look around, access to Hull and Nantaskit areas, exc. crab grounds and stripers, watch out for cross/rip currents around Hull Gutt, can get rough in a small boat. Buddy used to go all over Boston from this point including around Logan Intl. Airport, (don't get too close or State Police, USCG, Marine Patrol will be on you quick! but it's cool to watch planes coming in to land about 150'-200' over your head.

Never went into the "north shore" to poke around but maybe someone else will chime in.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

For a list of ramps...

http://www.bostonboating.com/publiclaunchramps.htm

I have gone out of Weymouth with old 21' cuddy. An 18' bowrider would work on calm days... You can explore the harbor islands http://www.bostonislands.org/ fish/dive or head into the Charles river through the locks and tie up at the Cambridge Side Galleria for lunch or some shopping (you can cruise right into the fountain -about 3-4' deep and tie up).

If the seas pick up...you can use the islands to shelter you (some)..but it might be a bumpy ride.

PM me if you have any questions.
-JMW

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am in south east Ma. Few places to take 18' boat where the waves wont kick the heck out of you.

Somerset has a great boat launch facility, 2 ramps, docks on bolth sides, plenty of parking. Parking lot is patrolled by the police all the time. Harbor Master is there alot but real nice guy, very helpfull, and doesnt bust your chops. You put in the Taunton river head out to Battleship Cove, cross Mt Hope Bay and you Have a Choice of Bristol RI and NewPort or Siconok River Tiverton and Little Compton and Portsmouth RI. When the forcast is for High seas this is a great place to go.

West Port has a nice place to launch 2 ramps with docks, lots of current in there all the time so heads up. It is a buisy ramp, in 10 minutes you are in Buzards Bay. Can be crazy out in buzards bay. I have been out there and have seen it go from 1' waves to 4-5' in and hour and a half. During summer time there is boaters beach just before you enter the bay. You can back your boat to the beach and step off the swim platform onto the beach or dive off your bow into 15' of water. Its an awsome place.

Maybe we should start a new thread and pic a day and place for people to meet and launch from in Ma.. A little get together.. HHHmm???

roozterdvx

Seaman

Also...

Westport River has a ramp just before Horseneck State Beach, exc. ramp, decent parking, great striper action,

Further down past Horseneck Beach, the road ends at Gooseberry Island, launch ramp there also.

blackpearl76

Recruit

from bristol rhode island nice area to put boat you can go to hog island,prudence islandand patience island all pretty close together u can also go to newport ,coltstate park and great fishing as well

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah maybe we should start a new thread.......I am certainly looking to hit the ocean this year....Not that our boat is huge but it should fit the bill.

I am pretty familiar with Bristol, RI on land since I went to RWU for a year​