We are Flooded Out!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Got up this morning and the boat that sits down back was underwater except for the windsheild. My house is up on a hill and I've got 2" of water in the basement. Just spent two hours trying to get to work. My shop has 6' of water. Everthing, I mean everything that I use to make my keep is ruined except for the tools/equipment in my truck. Roads closed in many nearby towns. US route 30 is underwater. They raised the road 6' from previous flooding and it still flooded! Traffic is a cluster f___. It sure is a big mess. The traffic is backed up for 5 to 6 miles.

I'm glad now that I don't have my boat in. The park is pulling campers out and have taken the docks out to the center of the lake. Guess nobody is safe from flooding. Prayers are sent to those that have lost so much. Just unbelievable.............SS

sun_runner235

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: We are Flooded Out!

I feel your pain. Back in 2004 I lived up in the Western NC mountains when 3 hurricanes came back to back and flooded EVERYTHING. Luckily I didn't lose anything since my house was high enough on the mountain. But the place a worked was 5ft underwater. It took us 30 days to rebuild the mill and get it started. The town is still recovering and its almost 3 years later. Prayers to everyone in your area that has been affected.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I haven't seen this in 20 years, but back then the water came and went. This time the rains is over and the water is getting deeper. Sad part is, their is surpose to be more tonight, tomorrow and the next day.

Hopefully by noon the water will get back down so we can see how bad our damages are. At least the company had flood insurance for the shop. I told my boss that I don't think that is going to cover the inventory of spare parts let alone the tools/equipment.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The hand tools I'd throw in a tub of oil and diesel mix. The power tools I'd throw in a tub of dishwater, but they're probably mostly lost. :(

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

SS Im am very sorry for your Loss. I cant imagine what would happen if I lost everything. Luckily no lives were lost in your family.

We too have experienced major rains and total devistation in some areas. A few towns around us are 8ft underwater. Many mudslides and and complete washouts have occured. Some areas around us got 2+ feet of rain since last thursday with 17 inches of it on saturday. Here are some pictures that I have taken in Brownville, MN They are about 10 miles away from me.

TruckFlood.jpg

DumpTruckFlood.jpg

House2.jpg

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

SS Im am very sorry for your Loss. I cant imagine what would happen if I lost everything. Luckily no lives were lost in your family.

We too have experienced major rains and total devistation in some areas. A few towns around us are 8ft underwater. Many mudslides and and complete washouts have occured. Some areas around us got 2+ feet of rain since last thursday with 17 inches of it on saturday. Here are some pictures that I have taken in Brownville, MN They are about 10 miles away from me.

TruckFlood.jpg

DumpTruckFlood.jpg

House2.jpg

House1.jpg

The pictures of rubble are whats left of peoples homes.

Here is our local tv stations website they have alot more access the I do There are some Incredible photos on there.

http://www.wkbt.com/Global/link.asp?L=166107

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

We don't have much to worry about slides. This area is like a valley and most of the run off has to go through.

I just got back from trying to get to the shop. Its not good at all. A Chevy S10 with a camper top is sitting in front of the shop on the road and all you can see of it is the top of the cap. The post office is across the street with several cars in the yard. I was able to get about 200 yards from the shop, but the water is way too deep. While I was down there a high voltage transformer blew. Sounded like a cannon going off. I figured it was time for me to get out of there fast. What a mess. Just hope nobody has lost their life from this flooding.

Wife had to call the hospital to tell them she had no route to take to get there. The floor nurse said that many of the employees scheduled has the same problem.

Somewhere around 8" fell overnight and we are expected to get more.

In the nearby town of Shelby, they have the Coast Guard getting people off rooftops. The local news has now said this is the worst on record for this area. About 90% of the ways to get from east to west are flooded. Like I said before,,traffic is a cluster.

OldMercsRule

Captain

Wow that is sad.

We get lots of rain here in the Seattle area, but it is drip drip, so the actual volume over time is not that great.

Got rained out of RR island Monday mornin', (much more then drip drip up there as it really rains up there, but the whole island is elevated so flooding of buildings et al is not a problem unless the person building the structure, [usually me] was snoozin'). JR

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Oh boy,,,,its not good. I finally waded to the shop. The high water forced open the bay doors floating lots of stuff out into the street. All my refrigeration equipment,,,,,,,,,all done in. Welder, plasma, air comp, hotwater pressure washer, Skag mower, pallets of salt, and much much more,,,,,,,all ruined. All of the stores Christmas decorations and Santa Claus,,,,,drowned.

What really sucks is I haven't had a vacation since last October. Next week I WAS going to be on vacation. Not now.........Geeeesh, my few inches of water in the basement is nothing compared to the loss of so many others.

The metal works place that does all of our stainless work is also done in. I feel for them because they didn't have flood insurance. He just moved into the building expanding his business. I hate to see a grown man cry, but I sure didn't blame him.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Holy carp!!! What a bummer. Hang in there man and keep up the updates. With your comment about the metal works shop, does that mean that you do have flood insurance?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Holy carp!!! What a bummer. Hang in there man and keep up the updates. With your comment about the metal works shop, does that mean that you do have flood insurance?

Yep, the company has flood insurance on the stuff in the building. The building is leased. I'm not sure if the coverage is going to be enough to replace all the stuff that is ruined. In this building we keep all the spare equipment like toaster, shake/sundae machines, freezer/coolers, coffee makers, and just about everything that it takes to run a McDonalds. It all is equipment that I have either repaired or rebuilt. Now to see if I can salvage some of it. All my spare circuit boards I kept up high and they survived. However, all my manuals and paper work is gone. Almost like starting from scratch again. I got to admit that a few tears have been shed.......

studlymandingo

Commander

Man SS, I'm really sorry to hear about the flooding in your area. Are you on Pleasant Hill Lake? My girlfriend is from Cincy and has some friends in that area.

Glad your family is allright though.​

MikDee

Banned

Wow! So sorry to hear of your troubles, I know it can be devastating, I've been there, luckily I didn't lose much of value, because it was a house rental, and I was mostly done moving to a new house a few days previous to this.

woosterken

Lieutenant

WHOA!!! SS if there is any thing I can do send me an email I will give you my cell number.
we are high and dry here in wooster.
woosterken
kralyon@sssnet.com

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Studly, Pleasant Hill is where I do my seasonal docking. However this year I had to keep the boat out. Hopefully next year I will be at the power dock with the others.

Ken, thanks for the offer. From my past experience with basements, I make sure nothing is directly on the floor and nothing of great importantance is stored there. The company is going to hire a crew to come in a clean everything. I got to keep things operating in the stores, so now my service van is going to be my temporary shop.

Did any see the old guy lifted off the roof in Shelby on the news? That was my best friends ex-father-in-law. I didn't realize it until they had his ex-wife on TV for an interview of her dad.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Sorry to hear about your losses SS, :(. That type of devastation is hard to imagine unless you've lived through it. Keep a stiff upper lip and we'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers. As with all trying times.....this to shall pass.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I feel for you. My thing was Katrina. I live in south Mississippi, I too lost a lot but some lost it all. Good Luck and if there is anything I can help with just let me know, if I can do it it will be done.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Dayum SS. Sorry to hear you got caught up in all the flooding. I know where your coming from so if I can do anything just let me know. You've got my email address so use it if you need/want to.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You have your health..... sorry about the situation. Hang in there.