Oil leak

Daddy5295

Seaman
Im in the process of pulling my 2002 4.3 liter merc because of an engine oil leak I have narrowed down to the rear main seal. I have everything ready to pull the motor, but I unbolted the flywheel housing to do so. After reading posts about changing the engine coupler I was wondering do I need to pull the outdrive when I reinstall to motor for proper alignment?:confused:

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Oil leak

You need to pull the drive to pull the engine, and yes you will need to check engine alignment before reinstalling the drive.

To remove the engine you should have removed the two lag bolts that hold each front motor mount to the stringer (4 total - 2 on each side). Then 2 bolts that mount the flywheel housing to the transom plate. 6 bolts total plus any wires, cables, or hoses.

Daddy5295

Seaman

I havent pulled the motor yet, hoping someone might have a suggestion. I will do what you suggested. Thanks for your help.

Daddy5295

Seaman

Motor came out easily and it is the rear main seal, I was right for once. Found out motor had been replaced due to not winterizing and it froze, found few minor things the dealer messed up when installing. Bond-o thanks a million for the manual link you saved my rump !!!

Bondo

Staff member

Bond-o thanks a million for the manual link you saved my rump !!!

Ayuh,........ No Problem........