4.3 OMC no oil to head

jdtower23

Petty Officer 1st Class
I put new head gaskets on an '88 4.3 OMC.....I still can't get any oil to come up to the head.....it's knocking and I don't think that it's the valvetrain, but I'd like to solve this problem before pulling the motor.....

Pressure is good on the gauge(approaches 70psi, more than before) I removed the sender and cranked it...oil came out....

Anything I can do? Could the bearings at the crank cause the head to get NO oil???

Thanks a lot....

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: 4.3 OMC no oil to head

The oil that you see on the heads of your 4.3 comes through the lifters, up through the push rods and rocker arms then runs and splashes off the rockers onto the surface of the head. There are no oil holes in the gasket that allow oil on top of the head. Any oil hole in the head gasket is for return/excess oil running off the head and back into the crankcase. Replacing a your head gasket could not have effected oil pressure. If you changed the oil that may have effected the pressure but the gasket didn't.

jdtower23

Petty Officer 1st Class

But there must be a reason the pressure is better and it's not getting to the heads? It's baffling me.....should i try a drill on the oil pump shaft or something?

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

it's knocking and I don't think that it's the valvetrain,

It sounds like you're Beating a Dead Horse,.........

The Answer to your Question should reveal Itself during the Tear-Down.......