Running a fresh water Force in Salt.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
The Bayliner I bought has a Force motor that was used in fresh water only since 1985. So now I have the distinction of sticking its lower unit in salt water tomorrow (Sunday). I'm going to be trailering this beast to the launch every time we take it out. Do I really need to do a fresh water purge/flush after coming home or is that old wives tales and I should just flush once a week.

Thanks!

RRitt

Captain
Re: Running a fresh water Force in Salt.

Other people here can probably direct you better but here goes anyway. I think it is a middle-aged wives tale. Generally speaking putting a hard metal and a soft metals will react when put into saltwater. The harder the metal the more aggressively it will attack and the softer one. The softer the metal then the more quickly it will become damaged. In an odd twist, the softer metal will actually draw damage away from the harder metal. Almost all damage ends up on the softest one. If there are 3,4,5, or more different metals then the softest one will absorb damages away from all others. In engineering lingo the soft metal is called an anode and the hard one cathode. Stainless is one of the very most aggressive metals and aluminum is one of the very softest. Only zinc and magnesium are softer than AL.

Bottom line-
The very instant you dip your outboard into saltwater the steel and the aluminum wage war upon each other. The aluminum loses very badly. There are only two things you can do to stop your aluminum from rotting away.
#1 Keep your zinc anode clean and shiny so that it absorbs all the corrosion.
#2 wash off the salt water as soon as possible.

In addition, you can help the overall situation by lubricating religously.

So to answer your question. It is not mandatory but it is certainly smart to wash off that saltwater as soon as possible. Additionally, if you park outside then don't park under a tree with acidic PH (rainwater). Your stainless will attempt to destroy all softer metals. The more stainless your have in your engine then the more aggressive the attack will be. Force only had one anode hidden behind the prop. It is absolutely mandatory that you take the prop off regularly and keep your anode in top condition. It would be very beneficial to get some zinc plates and install then on the upper half of engine (just sand off some paint and screw them down).

MikDee

Banned
Re: Running a fresh water Force in Salt.

If I got this right, you're going on vacation, and just using it there in saltwater, I wouldn't worry about doing it everyday, weekly would be fine, it's water, not acid :) I grew up on the south shore of L I, and for trailering, rarely flushed my motors, except at the required times, or if working on the motor, and needed to run it off the hose, and never had serious issues with corrosion, yeah there was some there but, nowhere near as bad as if you kept the boat in the water all season. Relax, and enjoy!