78 Johnson 115 need help please, pics inside

nms169

Recruit
Let me start by saying this is my 1st boat I have ever owned. So I dont know anything about outboards really. But I bought a boat, came with a 78 115 johnson on it. I took it out to the lake to see if it would start, as theres no telling how long it sat, the guy I got it from was'nt sure. It started after a couple trys and ran up and down the lake for like 40-60 minutes. When i got back to the boat ramp i was waiting for my buddy to back the truck down with the trailer, and it died on me at idle in the middle lol. I could not get it started again, had to swim her back to the trailer. So I got new plugs for it this morning and took it back down the the water, this time, i got its started for like 30 seconds, and it died, same thing, could not get it running again. So I pulled it out of the water, and noticed all this oil stuff all over the lower unit. Got home, and started lookign on the net for answers, and it led me here. I read the FAQ about the LU and unburred oil. But it looks like an awful lot of stuff there to be normal. So i took some pictures of all the oil, figured it might help someone tell me what the heck is wrong. The oily crap all over the LU smells like gas. And looks like oily gas that never made it in the cylenders. But like i said i know about zero about outboards... I did pick up the service manual. But theres nothing in it that is really helpful for this particular problem. Just seems awful odd that it worked for an hour died, and wont run now. I have it schedualed for a look over, but thats 4 weeks out, they couldnt get it in any sooner. I would really like to use it before then too. But the only guess ive got its a leak pre combustion chamber, as it doesnt look like it would have been in their to me. But heres the links for the pictures. And a pre thanks for anyone that helps.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z160/nms169/011.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z160/nms169/012.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z160/nms169/010.jpg

Also to note, before I had it running today for about 30 seconds, the LU and motor were clean... its just covered in the oil stuff.

Last edited:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 78 Johnson 115 need help please, pics inside

From the pics, looks like you may need a new base gasket. The oil and tarry substance is burned and unburned exhaust-probably leaking out from under the engine block into the cowl, and running down the lower unit. You will also get smoke in the cowl from this problem when running. The smoke can affect engine performance. I would run the engine without the cowl and see if it is leaking/smoking while running. If so, you have to remove the powerhead from the midsection and replace the gasket under the block. This is a common failure mode on this engine and while it involves 3-4 hours labor, the gasket is cheap.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it could also just be that the carbs overflowed, due to crud. check your compression, and spark and post the results back here. you needed to change the impeller before running the motor. it may have ran hot, when it was idling, and could be the reason it shut down.

read this: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

nms169

Recruit

Wow thanks for all the replys. I dont even want to post what i found was wrong lol. I feel like such a moron. I was beating my head this morning thinking about what could posibly be the problem, as i checked compression and spark. Well i desided i would go ahead and look in the back cubby where the tanks are, and see how much sand and water and other nasty stuff was back there... I found a small crack in the fuel line, So i went the the store and picked up some new line, and away to the lake i went since i have no barrel or flushing thing and test wheel to run the thing at home. Fired right up. I just new it was sucking air somewhere, as i build RC planes and you run into that alot with there 2 stokes. Was just trying to work through it logicly, and thats what I thought. But I never checked the lines, what a dope lol. Oh well i have it scheldualed for a look over and tune up. One more question, i have looked all over the net trying to figure out what model my boat is, to no avail. Its a 1978 Ozark something, the title doesnt say any more then that. Would like to get a cover for it since it just gets soaked everytime it rains, and then maybe get to work on making it nice again. thansk again.