Water or air cooled?

remington280

Recruit
I have a Ted Williams 7.5hp outboard and I don't know if it is air cooled or water cooled. The model# is 217-5949-0 and the serial# is 3E202331. If anyone can help with this it would greatly be appreciated. A buddy and me spent the last couple days getting this motor running. The motor sat idle for about 5 yrs.
We did get the motor running and it runs good, but when we put it in water it doesn't spit any water. So we don't know if it needs a new water pump or if it is an air cooled model.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water or air cooled?

You have a 73 7.5 built by Eska for Sears.
It has an aircooled powerhead ,built by Tecumseh ,with a watercooled exhaust leg.Water should mist out of the relief holes in the leg.It has a water pump just above the antivent plate.Check that the water intake is clear.
If you ran it without water you may have ruined the impeller.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Water or air cooled?

Its its anything like an old Golden Jet I had (same motor, different label), and it has only a spring clutch which gives you only Neutral and Forward, the impeller is on the shaft, which will NOT turn unless in gear..THEN it will spin the impeller (which is about 2 inches long, and inch in diameter..still available, have to search where though). So try putting it in water or a can, in gear, and see if a mist comes out the relief holes on the leg