How to Prep Interior for Paint

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have gutted, pressure cleaned my interior. I'll be replacing some rotten wood. Then Preping the glass in some areas ( galley surfaces, head surfaces, walkway and it's sides) for paint.

The cabin had never been painted before. It's bare fiberglass now (after ripping out all the carpet).

What types of resens, clothes, fillers and how and when do I use each one? What sandpaper is recomended from start to pre-paint.
What is the process?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later.....

THANKS!!!!

lmannyr

Re: How to Prep Interior for Paint

I need to fill some areas that are about an inch deep, 12 inches long, and 1-2 inch wide in some places. How do I fill these areas?

Can I use filler? then resin over top then sand smooth?

How do I apply the resin? I'm guessing with a plastic squeegee?

I hope someone chimes in with great detail. The link posted above was not very detailed. There is no mention on prepping the fiberglass really except for filler. The surfaces are unfinished ( very rough mat looking ).

Do I just apply thin coats of resin -> let dry -> sand and repeat till satisfied? Then prime and sand?

Thanks!!!

lmannyr

Below are some pics of what I'm working with. The second picture is an example of an area I'm trying to fill/level.

Thanks for the input!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3231.jpg
    IMG_3231.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3230.jpg
    IMG_3230.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 0

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As with all cosmetic projects, proper prepping is the key to a perfect job. Basicaly, sand the area with you want to repair of fill. Clean with MEK or laq. thinner. Get some resin, catalist microballoons (filler) and cloth if needed. You can also get to make a peanut butter (or any) consistancy mix. For interior jobs it doesn't matter much for strenght. Then apply that to the area you want to fill or fix. If you lay some plastic sheeting (garbage bag) or waxpaper on the new repair it'll be fairly smooth and not require to much sanding.
Do a search here on floor and transom, you'll find lots of info. Also, there are a bunch books and videos out you can buy, rent or the library on fibreglassing.
Here's some more
and more... It's not rocket science but the more you learn the better the outcome.

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let me ask this- do you just want paint to stick to add color to the yellowish resin color, or do you want to fair it out so it has a yacht quailty finish on the inside? That makes a big difference! If you want to add color, just follow manufacturer's instructions on the paint/primer process and go to town.

As far as bilge areas I have used Interlux "bilge kote" right over the gelcoat.

My old Glasspar? I just knocked the "boogers" in the resin down with a grinder, and mopped the rustoleum to 'er, bought one quart of grey and one quart of the blue, gave me a greyish blue. When it wears or chips, I just slop some more over it! Spent 15 bucks on the whole job and it's pretty dang durable.

lmannyr

I want a nice glossy finish ( just like the outside will be ).

Thanks for the info though.

lmannyr

I have noticed there are 2 types of resins, polyester and epoxy.

What are the differences?

Will one of these be better for my aplication?

Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

For what you want to do, polyester will be easier to work with, plus it costs less. It'll be a lot of work to get the surface to as smooth as the outside of the boat, but making it look much better won't be that difficult.

To fill the low areas you can use any type of filler you want, even bondo will work well. You will need to cover the deeper areas with glass to keep them from cracking though. There are more water resistant fillers, but for interiors even auto body filler works OK.

To make everything stick well, you'll need to sand the entire surface with 36 grit sand paper, you'll use use a finer grit when it's time to prep the surface for paint.

lmannyr

Thanks for the help thus far.

In doing more research on the two different types of resins, these questions come up?

How do I know the type of resin my boat (see signature) was made of?

My main motive to fair and paint certain surfaces of the interior is too keep the structure dry.

Will polyester be a suffice water/moisture barrier? Are there fillers/additives that will degrade the "sealing" effect of resins?

Thanks!!!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Your boat is made with polyester resin. If the areas you're refinishing are exposed to water (more than just the occasional splash or cleaning), then you may want to use a more water proof filler, it can be purchased at the same stores, it just costs a little more.