when repowering is bravo worth it?

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Mainly i am probably going to go with a chevy 350 which is going to be factory specs except for the minor stuff like heads, cam, and forged internals. from what i understand that puts me near 300HP, which is what the alpha is rated for. since my new transom will be bare with no motor or drive would it be beneficial to just spend the extra bones looking for a bravo drive or should i just invest in the readily available alpha since it will hold up and push the boat just fine?

cmcpherson

Banned
Re: when repowering is bravo worth it?

There is lots of information here about running the Alpha with 300 HP, doing a search will be your best bet. Although, I can briefly say that this is not a great option.

peacekeeper6

yea i know, thats why i am wondering is it really worth it for the extra 40hp, and then i have to get a bravo drive.

cmcpherson

Banned

Guess it depends on the hull that you have, size and weight, how fast you want to go and what you are going to do with the boat. I had an 18 footer with 3.0 with an Alpha drive and the boat worked great. Now I have a 24' with a 350 and a B3, I have to tell you that I will never go back to a single prop drive again, it makes a huge difference in the overall handling of the boat, but it ain't cheap initially.

peacekeeper6

I see, sounds intriguing, i know this isnt going to be a weeknd project so i am saving for the right power plant. does a bravo I II or III have to mate to a I II or III lower? Do they all use the same transom plates?

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I would opt for the Bravo if you can.............then you will always have the ability to increase HP later on if you wanted to............