crank case sealant?

4speedfury

Cadet
First of all, I have to say that I am impressed with all of the help that this forum gives to all boaters. I have enjoyed reading through it for days now.
On to business. I just bought a 1976 Chrysler 10 HP outboard for my 12' FG fishing boat that my son and I use together. My 1955 Fleetwin 7.5 developed issues and needs work so this Chrysler will be taking over. The engine can not have more than a couple of hours on it. It looks brand new, and a conversation with the second owner revealed that it spent a couple of seasons on a sailboat that never got used and he used it once.

My problem is that it is leaking air at the case joint on the starboard side. I have removed the power head and need only to remove the flywheel and the case bolts to split it.
What can I use as a gasket? It does not use a paper gasket, only what they called gelseal or something. Is this the only thing I can use or is there something in the auto world that will do the trick?
Is there anything else I should look out for?

Thanks in advance!!

Never mind, Next time I'll use the search feature. It is an amazing little thing. I found the answer: Permatex 51813, 3M 847, Permatex Motoseal Grey, EC847, or loctite 518.
Thanks all!

Last edited:

byacey

Chief Petty Officer
Re: crank case sealant?

Motoseal works well, look for a product called Hylomar. It isn't cheap, but it's the best.

4speedfury

Cadet
Re: crank case sealant?

Alright, I used the Permatex 51813 to reseal the engine crankcase halves, and started it up a day later. It has been over a week now since I did it, and the stuff is still not set. It is as soft as the day I put it on. Is this normal???? It seems that it is still leaking a bit. Please advise.
Thanks!