71 100 hp Johnson-lower unit leaking oil?

vansickle

Cadet
Thank you everyone that helped me get my outboard started last week. I couldn't get it started w/o started fluid. I rebuilt the carbs and now I'm running again.

However, now when I turned the motor off, the lower unit and prop sounded kind of loud. When I went down to turn the water off, I saw a lot of thick oil around the prop where the exhaust comes out. Is this normal? I don't remember it doing this before. I'm afraid I may be leaking oil. Mainly because the prop click very loudly as its slowing down after its turned off.

What kind of oil should I use in the lower unit? I need to go check the oil but I was having problems getting the plug out so I had to come up to the house and get some more tolls. I had another problem, but I already figured it out so I edited this message.

Thanks.

Last edited:

vansickle

Cadet
Re: 71 100 hp Johnson-lower unit leaking oil?

Well, I got the lower unit filler plug off and it doesn't look good. A little oil started to come out and it was white and runny. I assume I'm going to have to rebuild the lower unit.

Is it hard to do? The last time I called the local Johnson dealer, he said he won't work on the V-4 anymore. He told me to buy a new motor.

I think I would like to try to do it myself, assuming that it needs rebuilt. Can anyone give me any advice.

Thanks.