Replacing a fuel pump and the line from the pump to the carb is stuck.

rbryant1492_mfb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am about to replace the fuel pump on my Merc 470 and here is my problem.
I cant break lose the fuel line from the carb or the fuel pump.
I just sprayed the fitting and used a line wrench to grip the fitting and it still did not break free. I guess from 79 to now has frozen the fitting.
I was thinking I can cut the line and put a rubber section inline.
Any ideas
h e l p......

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Replacing a fuel pump and the line from the pump to the carb is stuck.

Dont put a hose inline to carb. It is metal to be Coast Guard approved. Getting the fittings off may take some time and a good penetrating oil. Someone else may chime in on this but as far as the fuel line I wouldnt chance it becasue of the loud obnoxious BOOM it could make.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Some rubber line is USCG approved, but you won't have the correct fittings and sliding it over what's left is not an option. What is an "inline wrench"? Is is a flare wrench? Did you try a long handled open end wrench?

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Cut the line close to the fitting, pinch it to seal it, and then you can use a 6 point socket on an impact wrench.

Pneumatic would be the safest, have someone stand by with an abc extinguisher if only an electric is available.
I have taped over all the vents on one in the past to use it temporarily near gasoline.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

if its not to late go to sears or ace hardware- any where you can find less expensive tools and buy a tubing wrench. i think you need the 1/2 by 9/16.
you can tap with a rubber hammer and should come loose and wont round the tubing nut.
this is a six point box end wrench with a slot cut in it just big enough to slip over the tubing then slides down on the nut.

rbryant1492_mfb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is where i am so far let me explain it better.
I bought and used the tubing wrench and it did not moved the brass seems to be slightly rounded already.
I sprayed it down with break free and will try it tomorrow.
The nuts on the fuel pump is larger than the nut on the carb so I have to get a bigger wrench and see if that one will break lose.

Does the nut on that the carb fitting come off different. right tight left lose

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Left is loose. If it's starting to round off a good pair of vise grips will break it loose. You will also need to hold the fitting that the line fitting is screwed into on the carb and on the fuel pump. If you do have to cut the fuel line to remove it you will need to replace it.