Install rear jump seats?

regjen

Cadet
New Boat Owner

All, I just bought a 1990 Dixie/21ftr that has the 2 seats in the cockpit area but no seats in the rear. I am looking for an inexpensive and fairly simple way (somewhat :) mechanically inclined) to install the seats. The boat has an inb/outb engine and I wanted to put the seats on both sides of the engine (the usual position) for the kids.

I saw some portable chairs (I thought they were glorified lawn chairs for a much higher price) as well. Would you recommend these instead?

Please...any and all suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Reg

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Install rear jump seats?

Well over a year ago i started a old starcraft restore, just picked the pace back up a few day's ago and i am looking forward to here completion, but here's a old pic of a seat mod, right now the seats are out to recover or id show you the finished product but i am sure you can get the jist of thing's

Picture034.jpg

Picture035.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/cp/vjVQa1PpcFPNMqPx6bqa-DY-caQ3euTixcHG-HdXBsk='></param><param name='wmode' value='transparent'></params><embed src='http://www.youtube.com/cp/vjVQa1PpcFPNMqPx6bqa-DY-caQ3euTixcHG-HdXBsk=' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='transparent' width='780' height='445'></embed></object>

Last edited:

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Those folding chairs you looked at are probably way too wide to have worked.
I have a set of them in my boat.Most jump seats for the rear are about 14 to 16 inches wide.
I bought a nice set of them on Ebay last year but can't think of the sellers name.He had a warehouse full of them.Same seats that Overtons sells.If i can find them i will post the link..

These are similar but from another seller...price is good..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BOAT...ewItem?hash=item320148163563#ebayphotohosting

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'll throw mine into the ring as well:

F0010.jpg

$79.99 at BassPro

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll throw mine into the ring as well:

F0010.jpg

$79.99 at BassPro

EZ, did you attach them to the floor or just drop them ?

If attach, what did you use to secure them ?

Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A lot of I/O boats have a 2X2 bolted to the motor box and the side panel. These support a plywood-backed seat cushion, which is part of the jump seat. You can also bolt a backrest to the transom to complete the seat.

flashback

Captain

I'm with Chris on this,,:), that way you just pick the seat up and stow it if your fishin....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I attached them with stainless screw bolts. I used 3/4" ply for my floor so I figured that would hold pretty well.

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

When I restored my 69 Formula a couple years ago, I made two jump seats for that area. Salvaged some cushions from a junk boat, vinyl-painted them white and made the necessary bases from 3/4 plywood. They looked good and worked fine...but...even if there were only 3 people in the boat, both those seats were always filled. It made it harder to get and stay on plane (lot of fat friends) and took away valuable storage space (cooler, tube, towels, etc). The rest of the floor always stayed cluttered. I've got back-to-back seats in the front and since there were rarely more than 4 people in the boat at any one time (usually 2 or 3) I took the jump seats out this year. Made me a couple nice panels, covered them in the right colored vinyl, installed a couple nice stereo speakers in them and like it MUCH better. At the beginning of this season, my girlfriend asked where the jump seats were and I told her the base had rotted out and I needed to work on them. Later in the year she mentioned she liked the boat better without them.
Now obviously if you have a big crew, this idea isn't for you.