1988 Bayliner Capri with 85hp + pressure guage install

artic-z

Cadet
I'm trying to install a pressure guage, i dont have a manuel for the motor and lost my instructions on the guage, i just need a little help witch spot do i splice into or install my pressure guage at in the motor compartment?

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 Bayliner Capri with 85hp + pressure guage install

What brand of engine?? :confused:

artic-z

Cadet

What brand of engine?? :confused:

sorry its a force, i thought force was the standard brand for 1988 capri 1700's? i bought a manuel earlier today but i still dont see much in there im going to asume its the little plug right by the thermostat.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

There is a plug in the top of the head right next to the thermostat cover. My 85 had a stainless steel plug with a slot for a blade type screwdriver. Others here had a plug with a hex recess for an alen wrench. Remove this plug and screw in a 1/4" NPT fitting to connect your pressure gauge.

Thats is where I (and others on this forum) have tapped into the motor to add a tell tale. Should be perfect for your pressure gauge. BTW I need an impact driver to remove that plug!

After it in, let us know what pressure readings you get and how old your impeller is.

Good luck!

artic-z

Cadet

ok well got the pressure guage in a took it out, at idle im getting 2-3 psi, at full speed im getting about 7-9psi.

so my grand-father's coming over this weekend to help my change out the impeller,

i did notice when i was out this time for roughly the first 10-20 min. on the water when i put it in gear and accelerated it sounded like i had a small mis on the cyclender but it went away the more speed i gave it. hoping it's the plugs so i replaced those and cleaning out the fuel. we'll see how it goes after the impellers fixed...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Great news! It will be interesting to see what the pressure reading is after a new impeller. I think my 40hp Evinrude is over 12psi at wot. I know is comparing apples and orages, but it is some frame of reference.

artic-z

Cadet

Great news! It will be interesting to see what the pressure reading is after a new impeller. I think my 40hp Evinrude is over 12psi at wot. I know is comparing apples and orages, but it is some frame of reference.

alright, well i got the new impeller installed, changed lower unit oil, oiled some other parts like throttle levers and what not, changed spark plugs, added a hydrofoil, re-greased everything on the tilt/trim with marine grease, replaced with a 2000gph bilge pump, installed a cd player and replaced speakers added a second battery with a selective power switch & wax'd the hull...

so...think ill try taking her out to the local lake tonight and see what kinda of water pressure im getting on my guage with that new impeller, the old one didnt look that bad to my eyes but who knows.

think ill leave the plug out while its on the trailer and back it into the water a little and test the new bilge. any of you guys like the automatic bilge's?

artic-z

Cadet

well, went out tonight and did some fishing, boat worked great, sounded great new impeller pumps out 7-8 psi at idle and about 19psi at WOT new plugs worked great from NGK, bilge worked amazingly....although when i put the plug in stayed in the water for about 5 hours nothing came out of the drain plug when i pulled out anyways...still seems like i might have a small burp problem when i first put the hammer down but its not bad enough for me to want to work on for now...

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

could you send your grandfather over to my house next?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Congrats! sounds like you are moving in the right direction.