2007 Volvo 4.3L Carb'd Throwing Belts?

BigAnt

Recruit
This is my first post so please bear with me...

I picked up my 2007 Stingray 195FX three weeks ago. The boat is amazing and everything was been going great up until I managed to throw my serpentine belt twice in two days:eek:. The engine is a Volvo 4.3L V6 Carb'd.

Day 1: Saturday I headed out fishing and was cruising at about 1/2 throttle when my engine stalled. I looked in the engine compartment to see what was going on and my serpentine belt had come off. There was no visible damage to the belt and I couldn't find any belt dust to indicate that it was being eaten. Being that there was only 9.5 hours on the engine I decided to bring the boat straight back to the dealer. The dealer checked my pulleys, reinstalled the belt, and started the engine to verify that it was still pumping water, etc. Hoping that perhaps this was a fluke thing, the mechanic came with me for a test run and everything seemed great. My wife and I stayed on the lake for another 2 hours before heading home with the boat.

Day 2: Despite the previous day's test run about 15 minutes into my second fishing trip the belt comes off again. :confused: This time I recognized the symptoms immediately (low voltage, tough steering) and cut the engine. I reinstalled the belt myself and limped the boat back home.

The boat is headed back to the dealer this weekend but before I bring it back I wanted to post and get some input on this matter. Also, what mechanism is likely to have caused my engine to stall the first time the belt came off? Is there an over temp cutoff of some sort? Being that my water pump is on that belt I am worried that this issue could cause problems in the future or may have shortened the engine's lifespan.

Thanks in advance...

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: 2007 Volvo 4.3L Carb'd Throwing Belts?

How hot did the engine get before it stalled?

f_inscreenname

Commander

Did you use the same belt? Maybe it has to much stretch in it.
Also with the belt off did everything (that should) spin freely with no hang ups?

BigAnt

Recruit

I don't know what the temperature was just prior to the boat stalling. I turned the key to the "off" position rather quickly after it stalled. Oddly enough my first instinct was to look at the engine. Once I saw that the belt was off I didn't bother to try and restart.

BigAnt

Recruit

They did use the same belt. I was looking over his shoulder when the mechanic turned the pulleys and he said they felt normal.

BigAnt

Recruit

Just got back from the dealer and a day on the lake. Problem solved. The bracket that holds on the power steering pump was bent just enough to offset the pulley. It seems that the manufacturer must have hit it on something when they put the engine into the boat. :rolleyes:

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Glad ya got it solved!......:):)