Prop spun ?

RDM77

Cadet
I went to take off on lake Michigan yesterday just began to get up on plain all of sudden RPM take off and boat loses all froward and reverse. Seems to be going in to gear both forward and reverse just no movement. should of checked if prop was spinning in water but didnt. So i get towed in after being a drift for some time. i take the boat out of the water and put it in gear i can spin prop both ways seems i have striped prop. Does this sound like could be my problem? any thing else i should check? Boat is 91 350 merc Alpha 1 drive. I would also like to thank the guy who took time out of his day to help me and refused the $100 i offered for the tow in. Mostly all good people on the water

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Prop spun ?

Sounds like it but put on your spare and see if problem goes away. Hopefully you have a spare

RDM77

Cadet

HAHA .. Spare? Believe me after all that BS yesterday i went through i will carry 3 from now on.

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just saw your other post. Did you get the prop off? I actually would have never thought of carrying a spare if it wasnt for my father in law advising me to do so.

RDM77

Cadet

No i have not got it off yet Going to work on it tonight. I do not have the Key for the lock on the prop. Is there any way to get it off besides cutting the jacket off? Any thing else i should know when removing? Thanks

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

While out of the water put the drive in gear, (engine off).....
You should be able to turn the prop one way but not the other....
More importantly if the prop shaft can turn both ways, you either have a broken shift cable or internal damage.....
If the prop spins but the shaft does not, then it may be the hub....
But generally, the hub would still be snug enough to lock in gear & have some fwd or rev motion while at idle....;)

RDM77

Cadet

Could you please give me description of the shaft when looking in propeller ? will i be able to see shaft not spinning or spinning? with propeller on.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

If you have some sort of locking mechanism on your prop nut, I doubt whether you could see it...
I think I'd concern myself with getting that prop off first.....;)