shifting problems 1990 225 johnson

SkintBack101

Recruit
I have a 225 johnson 1990 trying to figure out how to adjust the shifter linkage i have a manual but it does not give a very good discreption. When i go from idle to forward it starts clicking in the foot like its not engaging but once it starts going it hits hard at about 2000 RPM.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: shifting problems 1990 225 johnson

Disconnect the shift cable and shift it by hand. If it now shifts correctly the problem is in the box or the cable or the adjustment. When adjusted correctly you'll center the cable slack with the motor linkage in neutral. Hopefully it's simply an adjustment or a stretched cable.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: shifting problems 1990 225 johnson

on the end of the shifte cable the end tthat gets held on buy a nut is adjustable,it seems like your not getting enough pull on the shifter mechanism,you can try tightening a turn or 2 if you can,be sure to count your turns so you have a referance,sometimes the cables stretch over time causing the prob,if you dont seem to have any adjustment there,you can look at the cable itself,there is a brass threaded part with a plastic adjutment ,it may have a larger round adjustment knob with slotted edges,if you can turn with fingers great but over time you need a pliers,you will likely need to turn it so it adjusts toward the cable end,that should allow sooner shift point,has your lower unit been serviced lately,sometimes ,the shift shaft gets screwed ,as it is threaded into the lower unit,but there is a specific length that needs to be precise,a guy last week said he thought it was loose and tightened it til it stopped,that threw the adjustment out,needing to take lower back off and measuring and adjusting to correct length