Boaters safety courses

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was looking at safety course schedules online today and saw that in the next month both the USCG and USPS have available classes in my area starting.<br />Which seems to be a better course? I figured the Coast Guard course should be good but I hear more about the US Power Squadron. I am more interested in gaining something from the course than I am in the insurance discount, although I could use that too.<br />Any opinions?

Eubie

Cadet
Re: Boaters safety courses

I'm taking a Boating Skills and Basic Seamanship course from the USCG Aux. I go from 7p to 9p on Thursdays and it runs 13 weeks. So far in the first 2 classes I've learned quite a bit. <br /><br />I heard that the USPS course was pretty good too but this class is 2 blocks away from me at a local high school and a buddy of mine is a member of the Auxillary. <br /><br /> http://www.cgaux74.org/public/boatingskills.htm

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Eubie,<br />Which High School is it? Brandon Hi, Armwood Hi or Bloomingdale Hi?

crab bait

Captain

i am a USPS member.. after completion of coarse.. they'll ASK you to join.. it's a good deal.. <br /><br />have many many other coarses on maps, piloting, engine repair, weather, ect..an all cheap prices...it's great.. <br /><br />with the USCG.. it's just that coarse..only..

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I, too, have taken the USCGA Boating Skills and Basic Seamanship course. Was excellent! I've also heard very good things about the USPS courses, and hope to sign-up for those as well.<br />The great thing about completing any kind of boating course gave me a 10% discount on my boat insurance.<br />(No, SBN, I don't want to hear how you saved 100s by switching to Geico, hehehe)

Homerr

Commander

I am wanting to get into some classes like that before I finish my project boat.<br /><br />Where do I check for classes in my area?<br /><br />The only Coast guard station I know of is in Coos Bay, Oregon. I'm closer to Medford (97501)<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />H.

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just got an email back from the Coast Guard Aux about the class starting on Mar 2 and it is $100 and an 8 lesson course plus a test and is recognized in all states.<br /><br />Homer, I looked for the class by going to the Coast Guard website and followed the boating safety links until I found the boat courses. Then look up your state. Take a look here and click on Boating courses on the top left:<br /> http://www.cgaux.org/cgauxweb/public/pubframe.htm