why? ign sys. ?

ziggy

Admiral
so why do folks change there points type ign. to hei. seems all they get is grief over doin that. my points type ign. works okdoekey for me, and if i had ign failure, i look to repair what i got to oem prior to any mods anyways..........what's the benifit...........

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: why? ign sys. ?

I do not know why they do it either. Some say it idles smother.
I change the points on my 1980 Motor it 1995 just because seemed like 15 year may be a good time to do it but kept on board for a second spare. New point and condencer made no change. Some talk like they are constant problems problems but I alway wonder if they ever knew how to set them or were setting them wrong.

I have towed in one ski boat that left the ingition on durning lunch and would not start after that, no spark.

If it gained 10 hp or increased fuel mileage then I might do it.
For me I like to keep thing smiple unless there is a big gain.
If the points fail out to Sea on my boat I could change is less than 10 minutes with nothing but a simple screw driver and get in. When I get back to shore would check the dwell and adjust if needed. Actually have the Dwell meter on board but would still wait till got to insland waters.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: why? ign sys. ?

In the world today, there isn't a vehicle manufacturer that fit points ignition - everything is electronic. Technology and progress demand better fuel economy. A bigger, brighter, more stable computer controlled spark is part of that progress. Granted, aftermarket systems fitted by non-professionals can be a recipe for a headache but that doesn't mean the technology is flawed, just the application of that technology.