Two problems - New battery but trouble cranking and not sure if battery is charging

johnp34

Seaman Apprentice
1988 Force 50 hp - I need to resolve problem One first.

Problem One - Engine cranks slow but I have a new fully charged battery. I am about to replace the battery cables because it appears to be corroded. Next I will check the starter relay then the starter. also - I may lube the flywheel and starter gears. Any suggestions?

Problem Two - The Voltage gauge indicates 12 V. I don't think it is charging. I checked the rectifier and it is fine. Haven't check stator. Hoping the battery cables from problem one will resolve this...

Looking for suggestions...

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Two problems - New battery but trouble cranking and not sure if battery is chargi

Corroded battery cables can cause lots of problems. Let us know the results. The flywheel and bendix does not get lubed. A very little light oil on the starter shaft where the bendix rides up and down is all that is needed.

SeaForce1962

Cadet
Re: Two problems - New battery but trouble cranking and not sure if battery is chargi

I have a 92/120 force and had this problem about 3 times, after clearing terminals/New battery, it seems to always come down to the starter, have it tested, if bad I wouldn't get it rebuilt, you can buy a new 1 on line for under a 100 dollars, money well spent!

johnp34

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice - I will keep you posted...

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Problem Two - The Voltage gauge indicates 12 V. I don't think it is charging.

If the battery gauge is you are referring to is a gauge and not an actual volt meter I would not trust it. Get a hand held DVM and test battery voltage with motor running and when it is not running. That is the only way you will get a true test if the charging system is working

johnp34

Seaman Apprentice

I just installed the Voltage gauge but Ithink you're saying it is not as accurate...Thanks Euro - I'll try the meter...

dfitz123

Recruit

my 86 120 force pushes about 13.3

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I like to use a SS lock washer under and over the battery terminals. when I tighten the wingnut, I am now certain of a positive connection because the lockwashers bite right in to the cable and battery terminals.