Motorguide Problem. Please Help!!

problems86

Recruit
Hey guys I have a motorguide trolling motor that I use on my jon boat. The last couple of days it has been acting really strange. When it's in the water, sometimes it cuts out and i have to shake it a little to get it to give me some power, and when it does it is extremely weak!! The battery is fully charged and good, (I tested it on some other stuff) and the leads are polished and good.

I took it home today and put it on my bench. Now here's the kicker, when it is horizontal, such as laying on a table, it works fine!!! When I pick it up and hold it perpendicular to the ground like it would be in the boat it goes very very slow and sometimes cuts out! What is this problem and how should I fix it?? If i took it to a shop they would charge about 90 and thats like half of what I paid for it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Motorguide Problem. Please Help!!

When you tilt the motor you are also tilting the wires where they enter the head. With the motor vertical, wiggle the wires. If the motor runs normally, you need to disassemble the head and fix the wires where they enter. They have flexed enough that only a few strands make contact when vertical. Wires generally break where they enter the strain relief. If that's not the issue, remove the prop and check for fish line behind it. On the bench the line may not cause binding but when vertical it might. Bad bearings can also cause a problem like this.

problems86

Recruit

Thanks for the quick response Silvertip. That unfortunatly did not work. The wires going into the head appear fine. None of them look like they have had any wear. There isn't any fishing line around the prop. I am doin all the work with the prop off. If the problem is in the base, is there a way to open that up and look inside withouth damaging the waterproof seal? I don't have enough money to buy another one, I really want to fix this!!

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a similar problem on an old Shaspheare I had. Took the lower unit apart to find half the magnet on the motor had broke off. When I took it apart I noticed traces of red sealant, the kind you use to make gaskets on cars. Some other owner in the past had taken it apart for some reason and resealed it use the sealant. There was water in the lower unit which is probaly why the magnet broke. Although I had used this motor for 3 years after purchasing it used at a flea market. I would say take the bottom off and see if there is damage. If you just find a loose wire fix it and search online for a replacement seal, being motorguide they should still be available. From the sound of it you have nothing to lose by taken it apart because the motor is unuseable right now anyway.

oldbass

Recruit
Re: Motorguide Problem. Help!!

i think i am sure batteries are charged - but not runn - what is second thing to check?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Put the prop back on and then turn it by hand. It should turn with a little jerkiness feeling but it should turn relatively easy. If you feel it is turning harder than it should one or more of the bearings has tightened up. It is also possible the brushes are simply worn out. Both of these issues require that the motor be opened up.

John_S

Rear Admiral

i think i am sure batteries are charged - but not runn - what is second thing to check?

OldBass, You might want to open a new thread VS bringing up this one from 2007. Identify what year and model and what problem you are having.