OMC cobra lower unti

metro3pilot

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

new to posting but not to reading them ..anyway thanks

1987 4.3 L Omc Cobra ..

For some unknow reason, I am suspecting U joint bellows for major water intrusion in to the lower unit.

started hearing some grinding and getting major vibration out of lower unit, I tried to limp it back to the dock ...but the engine just siezed ..

pulled the whole drive and split the case ... a LOT of water in the gear lube ...not just milkshake the water was seperated enough you could tell it was water and about 2 pints of unmixed water

main drive shaft bearing had come apart and a roller ended up meshing with the pinion gear freezing the whole unit. engine will at least turn over now, have not started it because no way to cool it ..that I know of anyway ..if you do please tell.

u joint bellows has water in it and I think I can tell that grease was leaking out of the bellows. The back side has a dark water line from the grease and I could see the eveidence of a petroleum trail while I floated coming from the transom area ... not a valdez oil slick ..but noticible ( not the case before ) The pivot bearing on one side is completely non exisistent and has a bout a quarter inch play in it ( is that normal ? )

I had just had the boat serviced.....and the mechanic said nothing to make me think the unit had water in it, prior to that I had no real problems but within 1 hours service the unit failed ...the only real noticible thing before was slight vibration in the turns and a rumble when you pitch up a full throttle.

can these units fail that fast ?

what do you guys think ..... any comments, besides the usual " you should not have bought an OMC cobra "

blueoval1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: OMC cobra lower unti

Hook your garden hose up to the water intake port on the gimble housing mount. You can then run your engine.
Far as the drive , sounds like major overhaul.
It doesn't take long for the cobra drives to go south if they don't have proper lubrication.
That's why I check fluids daily on my cobra. I have gone thru one myself due to low gear lube in the drive once.
Not fun at all , but best of luck!:(