Attwood surge brake back up lock out ...

DrD

Seaman
I need to be able to keep the surge brakes locked out during backing. The Attwood surge brake system I have has a lever that can be moved to a detent that allows for this, but when backing up, sometimes it is necessary to move forwards and then continue the back up process. The surge brake backing lever seems to get automatically released.

My question: I need to keep the brakes locked out during the parking maneuver, so can I install a home brew 'keeper' to hold the back up lever in the release position?

Or does this mean my brakes are out of adjustment, and if they were readjusted properly, the back up lever would not tcome out of the released mode each time I push back, pull forward, etc.?

I'm fairly new to this so I don't have much experience with surge brakes in this situation. Thank you for your help.

-Dale-

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Attwood surge brake back up lock out ...

My Attwood disc brake coupler will not stay locked out either when I pull forward. I imagine that this is a built in safety feature. I installed the reverse lockout solenoid and it works well. The boat yard just ties the lever off with a piece of bailing wire to keep it in place when they use thier fork lift to move the trailer. It would be too much trouble for me to remember to remove it before hitting the road if I did it that way.
If you have drum brakes, they most likely are free backing and you do not need to worry about locking out the surge brake coupler.