tach wiring

mtnlimo

Cadet
Ok Guys

Im almost done working on my boat. The tach that came with the boat didnt work. I just got a new faria 20 pole tach on ebay and hooked it up to the harness and got power to the light and the needle went up to zero. Havent fired up the engine up yet.

Only thing I cant figure out is the signal wire. The purple generator wire was hooked up to the old tach but on the terminal strip on the engine its labled tach for the white wire. When I looked under the dash I found the white wire but it wasnt hooked up to anything. So which one do I use ? Seems the white wire is coming off the ignition coil. Really dont want to fry the new tach so any one with a 85 50 hp engine could you let me know which wire to use. :eek:

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: tach wiring

I have little to no experience with the motors in the thread category in which this is posted, but I think there is an industry standard with purple=ignition controlled accessories and gray=tach signal.

mtnlimo

Cadet
Re: tach wiring

Thanks for the help guys

I hooked up the new tach and fired up the engine. New tach works fine. Not sure what the previous owner did with the wiring but it seems to work ok. Seems after all that the old tach was set for a 8 pole stator.

Onto the next problem