1990 evinrude 200 hp shift shaft questions

v20belowme

Cadet
hello i need help please,i do not have a manual yet for it and have been trying to search it here already but have not had luck.....how many turns out is the correct adjustment for shift shaft? also what are the tricks to putting up the lower unit,should it be in F,N,R ? when i get the lower unit up the shift shaft turns on its own and i still have a inch or so to go but it keeps getting caught up?? any help will be greatly appreciated

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 evinrude 200 hp shift shaft questions

Sorry I dont have a manual, but I know when you find someone that does they will need to know if you have a short shaft or long, the tolerances are different on them. Grease the splines on the drive shaft before putting it up, remove the prop, if you havent already, and be careful not to bend the shift shaft. 2 ppl is always better than 1. The hardest part is hooking the shift shaft back up. If its spinning that freely, try just putting a dab of marine grease against the edge, may be enough to hold it until you slide it up. JMake sure the rubber grommet on the impeller housing fits nicely over the water tube as well while you slide it up, dont want that grommet blocking water flow.

v20belowme

Cadet

thanks for thereply its a 25 '' shaft and ive greased the heck out of it and it still doesnt go up..

v20belowme

Cadet

anyone have any idea for shift shaft adjustment on long and short shaft?

Molaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm only going by my Seloc manual, so for what it's worth...

1978 and up 200hp - short shaft - 21.94" (55.48cm)

For the 25" long shaft add exactly 5" to the above.

The measurement is made "from the top of the lower unit housing to the center of the hole in the shift rod".

v20belowme

Cadet

MOLAKER is that measurement taken with the shaft in foward neutral or reverse and when you say the lower unit housing where exactly do yopu mean?thanks in advance

Molaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MOLAKER is that measurement taken with the shaft in foward neutral or reverse and when you say the lower unit housing where exactly do yopu mean?thanks in advance
The measurement is taken in Neutral. With the lower unit pulled, the measurement is taken from the top of the lower unit (the exposed edge that mates with the bottom of the exhaust housing) to the center of the shift rod hole at the top. Use something like a yardstick with a 90* cross piece to slide up and down to establish the distance parallel with the shift rod.

drmikeb04

Recruit

Molaker, I have the same kind of question. My motor is a 1991 200 hp, and I have the long shaft. After replacing water pump, and after connecting the shift shaft, I lost my reverse. I think I need to re-adjust the shift shaft length. Would the 21.94" + 5" adjustment apply to my 1991 200hp evinrude.