Push Pull Switch installation

jacobmorin

Seaman
I am trying to install a push pull switch for my boat light. There are two wires coming out of the light, and when I conect those wires, one to the positive terminal and one to the negative terminal of my boats battery the light works. It is when I hook up the push pull switch that I am having the problems. when I hook the negative and the positive to the switch, one wire to each screw on the push pull switch the light works when the switch is off? However, when I turn the switch on the wires get really hot and start to smoke. Can I hook this switch up to my battery or is the starter battery too much for the switch? or do I just have the push pull switch hooked up wrong?

jacobmorin

Seaman
Re: Push Pull Switch installation

Not sure if maybe the problem is I need a smaller battery for the lights, but I was sure you could run them off of a regular marine battery.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

There is no need to double post. This place gets confusing enough sometimes.

From your description you have hooked the switch in parallel. It needs to be hooked up in series.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

jacobmorin;1435349..... when I hook the negative and the positive to the switch said:
Only hook up the positive side of your loop. Run ground directly to the light. There is NO need to switch both poles. If I understand your post correctly, you have the switch as the load right now.