Sundancer 370 exhaust and/or gas smell

starlettaus

Recruit
Have a 1996 sundancer. Runs great. Problem is, once anchored out on the lake and/or at dock, about ten minutes post-engine turnoff, we get a faint gas smell on the starboard side of the boat. Also, separately or maybe not, if we put the A/C on in the boat, the interior gets a real exhausty gas smell. SO we leave the air off now to avoid this.
What we've tried:
1. have had professional take a look and find nothing. 2. Have had smart boarting friends take a look and find nothing. 3. have taken the various compartments apart to try and find a leak or something ourselves, have looked at the hoses and see no problem as far as we can see. 4. Have also made sure we now leave the door the the cabin closed while running, still have the problem though.

Can anyone suggest anything else?

craig240DA

Seaman
Re: Sundancer 370 exhaust and/or gas smell

We have a oil gas smell in our new 240DA cabin when the air is on, and we found that the locker that that the air unit is in, isn't sealed well at all to the engine compartment. We found several large gaps that should have been sealed with silicone but were half-assed gooped up and left holes large enough to stick several fingers through. We confirmed this as the source of the odor on the last trip when we opened the engine hatch and about an hour later, no smell in the cabin. If it wasn't still under warenty, I would have sealed it up myself.

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just replaced my engine on my 1999 Sundeck as a result of poor service. My engine started with a fuel smell also which I told my service people and they "tested it" and said it was ok. However, the next time I took it out the black unburned fuel came out of the throttle body. As a result of them not checking the engine properly, I don't know what the test was that they said they did the first time, but I ended up burning the piston. The reason was the intake valve was burned out and that caused the engine to get too hot and burn out the piston. This is where you can be getting the smell of fuel. You can smel it after you stop because you are not moving forward ahead of the smell. So I sugest that you have a pressure test done imediately to see if you have a valve cracked or curled so it doesn't burn ot the engine cylinder. I had to replace the entire engine. OUCH!!!

pipes

Cadet

I have an Uncle that just picked up a 30' sea ray weekender, I have been spending alot of time down there at the boat, and I also get fuel smell at dock. can not figure it out. The engines are suppost to be new. I hope it would not be a valve. Thanks though, I will let him know

Last edited: