Need some kind of electrical chase

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Some info first - 1984 Alumacraft T16XL. My battery box is mounted in the bow by my fish finders and trolling motor. I currently have the transducer wire bundle for the fish finder just hanging over the tops of the benches and held in place by the brackets at the end. I don't really like this set up but it works for now.

I want to add wiring for lights and to run power to the back for a second trolling motor but don't want even more wires just hanging out in the open to be inadvertently yanked and damaged. Short of putting in a floor (an option but not going to happen soon) to hide the wiring does anyone have any good ideas on how to do this? Is there some sort of electrical chase/conduit I can use?

Also due to where my anchor is mounted I can't use the common split deck mount nav light, would it be kosher to get some side lights like these?http://www.iboats.com/Seachoice_Flush_Mount_Sidelights_Polished_Stainless_Steel/dm/**********.438918350--*******.010761038--category_id.362676--list_time.1186798282--view_id.2844 and mount them on the bow below the gunwale (is that still the right term at the tip of the bow?) Or would I be better off (still legal?) to use some like this http://www.iboats.com/Attwood_Bullet_Style_Sidelights/dm/**********.438918350--*******.010761038--category_id.362676--list_time.1186798841--view_id.258862 and just mount them on the little bow deck back by the fish finders at the aft edge of the deck?

Pic included to hopefully make this clearer

Attachments

• Da Boat on the DSM River.jpg
    Da Boat on the DSM River.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need some kind of electrical chase

PVC conduit available at lowes/home depot makes a great wiring chase and can be bought in a variety of sizes, you can heat it over a flame (propane torch) and bend it into complex curves and bends. You can also add junctions and T's along the length of the boat for your accessories/lights. It could be fastened in a bunch of ways from zip ties to screw in/clamp in brackets.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How about running PVC conduit just under the gunwale or on the floor?
You can form it pretty easy to follow contour.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

DOH! I had pondered metal conduit but wasn't sure of how well it would form to the curve of the hull, PVC never even entered my mind.

I don't want it on the floor as I know I'd just be tripping over it or stomping it into oblivion. I do like the idea of mounting under the gunwale but how would you mount it? Theres not much in the way of a mounting surface short of drilling through the hull.

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

PVC works great, just make sure that all of your cable exits are facing down, and drill a drain hole at the lowest point, else you will find it all full of water some day!

You can use plastic zip ties to tie it off to existing structure, stringers, screws, control cables, etc.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i've used pvc, and pvc electrical conduit hangers, thru bolted, rubber washer each side of the hull. the also make a flexible, split corrigated conduit, that you can use for the final end to protect the wires.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys,

Anyone know about my light question or is there a better place here to ask about that matter?

Nova II 260

Don't know about the (ill-) legality of placement or type. But, with so many variations of boats, from Pontoon to Sailboat, as long as they are on the front of the boat, visible and used. What matters type or style? Those verticle bow mounted look good.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for pointing me to the article NovaII.

Off subject - How do you make the clean link like that? I obviously have yet to figure it out on here.

Nova II 260

{url=http://www. etc etc.com} text here {/url}
Just change the above "{" "}" to "[" and "]"

kmurray802

Seaman

You could form up your pvc to the shape you need it and then run a bead of epoxy on top.Brace it up in place until epoxy hardens.
You may want to place some tie wraps around pipe before setting.
Some of the manufactures recommend that you not run your transducer cable in same conduit as other 12 volt wiring.You could run all other wires Thru conduit and then tie wrap trans.cable to bottom of pipe.:rolleyes: