rebuilt motor valves tapping bad 5.7

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer
hi i got my 89 5.7 w/ alpha 1 running real good. good oil presure, went to take it out today second ride to break in motor. got it warmed up , the motor was tapping valves for sure. took it back to the dock and adjusted valves . sounded real good. went and got 1 more quart of oil , it sounded great and then i got 100 yards or so and valves started tapping again..motor sounds great...????wrong oil????
bob/p

delsol

Re: rebuilt motor valves tapping bad 5.7

also dealer really messed up this boat 2 weeks ago i had no compression 2 intake valves were to tight in 2 cly.
bob/p

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why more oil? Was it low?????
To much oil, and the oil will aireate and cause the lifters to clatter.

delsol

don in lost oil while adjust it running..
bob

delsol

don could it just go away????
bob

delsol

no ,valve oil was spashing in the blidge a little. just lost some oil like when you adjust valves while running.

Don S

USE THE DIPSTICK

and check the oil​

Then get the oil level where it should be and the aireated oil won't be a problem.
Oil floats on water, so a 1/4 cup of oil on top of 5 gallons of water would look like a lot. But when you put in a quart without even checking the dipstick, you were just asking for problems.

Oh, and make sure the engine is about level when you check the oil.
Pull the dipstick, wipe it off, dip it and recheck.

delsol

USE THE DIPSTICK

i did use the dipstick don. i lost 1 quart of oil while adjusting the valves. so i checked the level of the oil . it was 1 qt. low so i added 1 qt. and took boat for a ride..it still tapped
bob

delsol

don why would i have , water in my oil.the oil looks great??????

1/4 cup of oil on top of 5 gallons of water

Don S

Never mind...................

delsol

never mind..i guess i just real stupid.
thanks

delsol

anyone else have any advice on this as it was in the shop and i dont even know what weight oil was put in it
thank you
bob/philly

freddyray21

Commander

I have followed your threads for quite some time. I think you just need to get rid of that bomb. The shop that rebuilt it seems as if they didn't know what they were doing.

Bondo

Staff member

then i got 100 yards or so and valves started tapping again..

Ayuh,.......

Only a Guess,..... But.......
It sounds like the Cam wasn't properly broken in,+ is on it's way Out.......

The Valves should only have to be adjusted Once.....
If it's loosing the adjustment,.... Something is Wearing Excessively......
It could have been caused by the Super Tight Adjustment in the begining.......

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your valves keep going out of adjustment you either have bad lifters or are wiping out the cam. I take it this is a new engine because you say you were were breaking it in. If they were adjusted wrong from the beginning then you could have ruined the cam, lifters or both. You can also check to see if the studs are pulling out of the head.

ziggy

Admiral

i lost 1 quart of oil while adjusting the valves.
that seems like a lot a oil to loose while adj the valves.....was there signs of a qt. in the bilge. if ya lost the oil while adj. the valves and it splashed out. it'd be in the bilge in the end. was the oil level proper to start with? before ya put in in the water? if it was, and ya added a qt. i'm with don. areiated oil.
To much oil, and the oil will aireate and cause the lifters to clatter.
ya might take yer hearing hose with ya to help determine if it is in fact valves that are clattering. maybe dons is right and it is the lifters clatterin.
The Valves should only have to be adjusted Once.....
If it's loosing the adjustment,.... Something is Wearing Excessively......
if the oil level was to high, i'd think that aireated oil would make liftes be irratic while adj. them.
i hope bondo and fih aint right fer yer sake. but since the valve were to tight from squre one, it does seem plauseable.
maybe it's time to do a compression test again. see where ya stand.......as for the kinda oil. if that dealer put any kinda oil in it at all i'd be kinda happy. i'd assume they used 25W-40 merc oil. ya could always ask them what kind. but don't think that's of any consiquese for the problems yer noteing............

delsol

followed your threads for quite some time. I think you just need to get rid of that bomb.
THOUGHT ABOUT THAT AS THE DEALER really hurt this boat.
it runs great just taps like hell. readjusted valves and they sounded good then cam back (chattering)
whats the signs of a bad cam.. i am ready to sell this boat and buy a new pwc with a warrantee...this whole thing really sucks...possible air in lifters?????
bob x boater soon

MikDee

Banned

If you had them adjusted too tight to start with, it puts undue stress on the valve train! The studs for the rocker arms are just pressed in place on stock motors, they could be pulling out slightly. On hi-perf motors, those studs are screwed in, or previous to that they used to pin them in. Or, your valve springs could have gotten crushed by the initial tight setting, and are not up to specified height now, or you have bent pushrods, caused by the pistons hitting them previously, these issues have to be checked out thoroughly.

delsol

mikdee. will a compression test find this out???? bent pushrods etc...i think they were tight to begin with. before this happed we had 2 intake valves too tight. after adjustment 150 psi in all clys
bob