foam in 25hp johnson cowl

captn-tin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
have a 91 johnson 2-stroke. the foam on the inside of the cowl has started to deterioate. it leaves dust and particles of the foam in the engine compartment. i dont want this stuff going thru the carbs. anyone know of a replacement foam that wont break down? i presume this foam is for noise supression. thanks all for the help on this problem, and thanks to all the forums for folks like me to get excellant help with their boating projects and problems.......Bill

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: foam in 25hp johnson cowl

I have had the same problem. For lack of a better title, do you have a local "foam shop", sorry for the title, but that's what mine is called, lol. They will be able to point you in the right direction.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I would think Dynamat would work well. Check with your local auto sound shop.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Just rip all the foam out and see what it sounds like. You might not even miss it. If you do decide it is too loud, then you can replace it. Nothing lost, it has to come out whichever way you go.

captn-tin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all for the tips on this problem.Think I'll take the rest of the foam out and try it. If it's too loud I'll try something new. I hope to get the noise level down to the point where I can just barely NOT hear my wife talking..
Thanks again...Bill

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If you figure out a way to do that you should market it, and ill be your first customer, lol :)

Chip P

Cadet

I had to take the cowl off to keep from hearing my wife, just kidding, I also have a 25 Johnson and I took the foam out of mine and can't hardly tell the difference.