89 50hp force

bmack4life

Seaman Apprentice
this engine runs great at idle and clutch ahead, once i try to take off it spudders, and acts irraticaly. it seams to be sucking the ball flat when i take off, telling me the fuel pump is ok, but pumping it doesnt help..also when i turn to port she takes off until i straighten the helm.. i looked for restrictions but everything is great, what do i do next? thanks

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 89 50hp force

Sure sounds like you have a restriction on the supply side of the bulb. Sure the bulb is good? Stuck check valve in it maybe? Plugged upstream filter or inlet?

Confusion on the 'takes off' statement. You mean the engine suddenly gets fuel, or that the boat just wants to continue to port?

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look for a kink in the fuel line (upstream of the bulb) that gets relieved when motor is turned to port.

bmack4life

Seaman Apprentice

i did that u/w, no restrictions at all, im actually baffeled by that!

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

okay, then look for changes in the control cables (at the engine) when you turn it to port. Could be unrelated to the sucking bulb.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

okay, then look for changes in the control cables (at the engine) when you turn it to port. Could be unrelated to the sucking bulb.

Was my thought also, maybe pinching fuel line a bit when straight but not when turning??? not sure

Does throttle advance fully when motor is turned in different directions? With engine off, take the hood off and turn motor hard right, then advance to full throttle and look at how far the throttle plates go, turn straight and do the same, then left and check also. See if you are going full throttle in all directions, maybe like Quad said, something is pinching in certain directions and not allowing the cables to go full throttle, or fuel line is pinching in some directions.

This is only a guess though.

Good luck

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Look for small crack in fuel line to the carbs or the recirculation hoses, sometimes hidden by a plastic clamp. When flexed, the crack can open up enough to suck in air and cause a fuel lean condition.

bmack4life

Seaman Apprentice

well i had a loose fuel hose, after fixing that i took a ride, it runs nice and smooth now, but when i go wide open it only gives me about 2500 rpms. i checked the carb and cables, everythings working properly

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Throttle plates wide open in the carbs when at WOT?

Wouldn't hurt to do a compression check, if that loose fuel line was creating a lean running condition, it could cause damage, may as well eliminate that as a problem by comp check.

Does the trigger ring move as you advance the throttle? those plastic rod ends like to break.

You should be at 4500 to 5500 rpm at WOT