YL340 with '89 30hp Evenrude - no power...

MaxGen

Recruit
Hello,

I should start by saying that I am a brand new motor boat owner. Previously I have been strictly a sailor.

I just bought a used, year 2000, YL340 with a 1989 Evenrude 30hp 2stroke motor. I've tried wake boarding behind it but for some reason it doesn't seem to have even as much torque as my friends '90 something 20hp Yamaha/Avon combo.

I'm only 145lb and the boat has a 4 blade prop on it. I was expecting it to perform better than the 20hp boat, but it's worse. I can get up with the 20hp but not on my 30hp...??

I'm wondering if the problem is with my motor, which I would expect to be the main culprit or if it has something to do with the small size of the boat. My boat is 11.2' and me friends Avon is 12'. I think his hull is deeper than mine too.

If I went out and put a Honda BF30 on my boat, would I be slightly exceeding the design spec's for my boat (it's rated for 25hp max), or would I be risking my life? Would the 30hp Honda be too dangerous to put on the YL340?

As far as top speeds between my friends Avon/20hp and my 340/30hp, they seem to be about the same. My boat just doesn't have any torque, even though I have the 4 blade prop... It's so frustrating...

TIA

MaxGen

Recruit
Re: YL340 with '89 30hp Evenrude - no power...

Been doing a little more research. Currently I have a Hydrofiol on the motor. Would Lifters be better? Anyone have experiance comparing the two?

TIA

deejaycee_2000

Captain

lifters would help yes, but you see your friend have a yamaha on the back and you don't .... nothing beats yamaha when it comes to inflatables ..... anyway ...... what pitch 4-blade prop do you run? and what pitch prop does your friend run? that is where the difference comes in.......

MaxGen

Recruit

Thanks deejaycee_2000,

I don't know about the pitch...? I am asuming greater pitch would mean more torque? I'll have a look at both props this weekend when I am at the cottage again.

Regards

deejaycee_2000

Captain

sure ... let me know ....

more pitch means more speed and less rpm ..... the less pitch the less the speed but more rpm ...... low pitch props have a good hole shot and are powerfull and get to their max speed quick, where high pitch props have a poor or rather slow hole shot and takes a while to reach top end speed ....