Shift Shaft Linkage

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
While my buddy was standing around talkin he was also twisting the shift linkage. Which direction is the correct position, pic 1 or 2 ? It's a 1977 55 hp Johnson - Model # 55EL77D

Pic #1
DSC01954.jpg

Pic #2
DSC01953.jpg

xtraham

Lieutenant
Re: Shift Shaft Linkage

offset goes to the port side but if he turned it you now need to adjust it to the proper length or it wont shift in one gear or the other

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Tom, the offset either goes to the front or rear. The retaining bolt goes in from the port side then through the hole in the shift shaft. Also are you positive turning the shift shaft changes it's adjustment length, or is the linkage adjustment done up by the power head?

xtraham

Lieutenant

what I mean by offset is the bend in the rod, not the hole, should be to port, and yes I am positive about the adjustment, I don't have the measurement of the rod for that engine, I will go get my manual for that engine (if I can find it) and let ya know the measurement of the rod

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

If you put the bend in the rod to the port side the hole will face front to rear, that won't work.

Bend to starboard
DSC01957.jpg

Bend to port
DSC01956.jpg

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I went back out and looked at it again and the rod does screw up or down. Thanks for that information Tom.

Anybody else know which way the bend in the rod goes, and/or know the length the shift rod should be adjusted to?

xtraham

Lieutenant

RP, sorry for the delay, the first pix look to me like the rod was the right/left offset

the manual states, place the shift rod in neutral use shift rod gauge P/N 389997,
hear are the specs
long shaft 1975-1981 = 20 29/32" +/- 1/32"
short shaft 1975 on = 15 29/32" +/- 1/32"
this measurement is from the mating surface of the L/U to the top of the shift rod hole
a good starting point is tighten finger tight, and then 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 turns out

nowhere in either manual does it describe the position of the rod, but in some very vague pix it shows to offset facing forward, toward the carbs.

hope this helps

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Thanks Tom. After trial and error procedure this morning I was lucky enough to get it right the first try. I removed the boot off the rod where it covers the seal in the lower unit and pushed the rod in and was able to adjust it to where it should be by looking at the wear pattern on the rod.

The bend in the rod does face forward as In the pic below.

Thanks again.

DSC01953.jpg