Running Oil Injection Engines on 50-1 Mix

Randy22

Seaman Apprentice
I've been fighting oil injector alarms now for weeks with little resolution on these Mercury Motors. The boat is on a lift and I need to travel some 2-3 miles to a ramp so I can put on the trailer. If I connect my fuel line to a 50-1 external tank mix, is the engine or engines if I decide to put two external tanks so I can run both motors, still going to pull oil through the injector or do I need to somehow disconnect this function. Advise?? (FYI..200HP Off Shore)Thanks...

gss036

Commander
Re: Running Oil Injection Engines on 50-1 Mix

No, you do not need to disconnect the injection system. That being said, you would be running the same mixture (25-1) used for breakin periods. You will produce more smoke of course and I would not do a lot of slow running on this mix. Use a good, high quality oil, like a synthetic blend oil or full synthetic if that is what you happen to be running.

Randy22

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the great information and advise. Your answer leads me to something else. If there is indeed a great deal of blue smoke coming from the motors, might I assume all the oil injection functions (critical) are working and the alarm problem just might be the monitors? I just hate to spend $200 x 2 on something I am not sure of (both engines are going off and they began the beeps within 15 minutes of each other and everyone tells me the odds of both monitors going bad within that time are slim...but I have little else to work with). Guess the questions is lots of blue smoke is good? Thanks...

gss036

Commander

Blue smoke is a good thing. You can check the oil flow by take off the oil line from the pump to the mix "T" valve, it is a 2psi check valve. If you have a small gas tank, rig it to your engines, one at a time and check the flow. Your system is probably working just the way it was designed to do and you have a sender problem or the beeper itself is defective. If you can get you hands on an OEM Merc manual, trouble shoot the system. The first thing I would do is disconnect the alarm system on one motor at a time and see if the buzzer stops, if not the problem is the buzzer. Maybe a bad ground

Randy22

Seaman Apprentice

Again...thanks for the excellent advise. Let me throw this one out...I have an alarm buzzer wired to each motor. Kinda going back to my original message, everyone I have spoken to find it difficult to believe that two monitor sensors or two alarm buzzers could have gone out at the same time. As I had indicated on another forum last week, I had been out fishing and had come in running but was idling back to the dock when the starboard engine alarm went off (oil beeps), so I shut it down and fifteen minutes later, the port engine started. These engines have been babied and cared for without ever having been in the shop (they are both '97). I keep going back in my mind and reliving that day to try and come up with anything I could have done to create the same environment that would have caused both engines to have problems within that time frame. One going out on a trip and another later would be understandable...but both within 15 minutes blows me away. I've loosened the oil tanks on the motors and oil is coming out of both at idle so the tank is full to the top as oil must be pumping up from the lower large tanks. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated. Do you think it is worth spending $200 on a monitor to see if that stops the alarm on one and move it over to the other and check the same. Just can't return electrical parts as you know, but from every thing I have read, it is not a matter of if, but a matter of when these alarm sensors are going to go. So may not be too bad having a spare should it not resolve the issue. Thanks...

badskeeter

Recruit

Do this go over to rickracer.com get the oilinj block of kit he sells for 18$ with instructions get rid of that oil inj mix the oil by hand an dont worry about poping the motors go to wall mart and buy a oil mixing bottle with how much to add with the gas and your good to go

inlgmouth

Seaman Apprentice

I agree w/ badskeeter. I removed my injection at the first of the year (86 Merc xr2) for piece of mind. I got the blockoff from mercurypartsexpress although they do not advertise it for obvious reasons. The parts dept. wanted to know how I new about the blockoff. I came across the part #'s on a website that I have misplaced.

gss036

Commander

Randy, check your post on the Whaler board, a couple of good suggestions there. I definately think it is electrical, maybe ignition. You need to check the voltage on the engines.

j_martin

Admiral

maybe both engines aren't getting oil.

The tank on the engine is supposed to be plumb full. If it quits getting oil and goes down a small amount, the alarm sounds. You still have enough oil for about 1/2 hour at WOT.

Are both engines feeding off the same boat tank? I saw one of these that proved to be a foil oil jug seal in the boat tank that got sucked up into and plugged the pickup tube.

If the oil plumbing is cojoined in the boat, a fault anywhere in the system could cause both motors to quit getting oil.

hope it helps
John

Randy22

Seaman Apprentice

First, each engine has its own individual large oil tank in the stern of the boat feeding up to the engine tanks. If there was only one of everything feeding two motors, I could deal with that, but each engine has its own oil feed. Also, thanks for the alert on the Whaler site. I didn't have any comments for days, so I basically gave up on that site.

Back to a couple of comments regarding cutting the oil injection out. How do you do that and keep a good oil/gas mix in a 150 gallon gas tank (120 gallon fuel tank with 30 gallon reserve). I have a Bass Tracker with a 40HP that I did that on, but it only has an 18 gallon built in tank which is rather simple to monitor the mix. Also, I have no idea what the scale of gallons remaining in the main tank is when I look at my gas guage. I'm showing 3/4 full on the guage, but is that 70, 80, 90 gallons of gas? It is an idea, but is it a realistic idea with such a large tank capacity?

Thanks for all the great input!

j_martin

Admiral

Ya dump in a quart of oil, then 12 gallons of gas, repeat till full. A little rich if you misguess at the end ain't a big problem.

Are the tanks on the motors plumb full? Maybe the same anchor is laying on top of both oil lines.

hope it helps
John