ATTN: Ross J

Carphunter

Commander
Just to show ya how much I pay attention, I just realized your located in New Zealand. I'm always interested in what life is like in other countries. Whats the weather like there? How do you like living there?<br /><br />Wasn't all those "Lord of The Rings" movies filmed there?<br /><br />Sorry for all the questions Ross, I was just curious.<br /><br />Take care.

crab bait

Captain
Re: ATTN: Ross J

an also XENA WARRIOR PRINCESS..<br /><br />i see the beautiful mountains in different photos an movies... are they accessible.??<br /><br />is it a place where people go for holiday.??

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Carp hunter & Crab bait,<br />There are a lot of movies being made in New Zealand now.<br />My son was on the computer tech crew for LOTR for three years until last November. You can see his name 'Evan John Fraser' listed with <br />'WETA Digital' near the end of the credits.<br />He is now in London working in the same industry.<br />The scenery you see in all of the LOTR movies is natural and untouched. The big battle scenes were created over a scenery backdrop with stunning effects. <br />The whole of the country is accessible to visitors with the exception of a few private areas.<br />I am not a movie person really but do appreciate the skills employed.<br />Loved the movies btw<br /><br />Peter

Carphunter

Commander

Thanks peterf. Man, that must be exciting having a son involved in that industry.<br /><br />That has to be some of the most beautiful country left on the planet. Doesn't look like a heavily populated country. <br /><br />Whats it like living there? Just trying to get some comparisons to where I live.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

New Zealand – What’s it like to live here?<br /><br />Three main islands make up our country, North/South and Stewart Island. We’re completely surrounded by water and have no land borders at all.<br />You can drive for a few hours and travel through city, country, desert, snow, coast, and back to city.<br /><br />We have a population of 4m and live in the same space as the UK with well over 50m population.<br />There’s as many cars as people.<br />Sheep outnumber people 20 to 1.<br />Average wage 2003 reported to be $32,000NZ = $16,000 US.<br />Our police aren’t armed and have no need to be.<br />We have no poisonous animals.<br /><br />We are constantly being told how lovely our country is by visitors from all over the world and yet these same visitors only get to see such a small part of the country. <br />I’ve traveled extensively throughout all islands and even out to some of the outlying islands. My belief is that you must see your own country before setting off overseas. I love it. I cannot get enough of it. Even though I’m a granddad my wife and I plan much more travel yet.<br /><br />To keep a balance I have to admit there’s a downside, we have the same crimes that you all experience. We have freedom of political expression which often leads to unusual decisions being made that can lead to misgivings with other countries.<br />We are nuclear free still!<br />The US dollar is nearly twice what ours is. Wages are low compared to overseas. Most of our needs are imported. <br />We have an Air Force without any fighters!<br />We can experience four seasons in a day!<br />We do very well in specific sports, like rugby, cricket, softball, rowing, athletics………………………you get the picture.<br /><br />What I feel we still have that appears to be missing in a number of places is a population that is prepared to help their fellow man/woman. Not just take advantage of a situation but to get the sleeves rolled up and pitch in.<br />We’re also very god at making things work, hence the expression “There’s nothing that can’t be fixed with a bit of No 8 wire”.<br />Finally I reckon Kiwis “Give a damn”!<br /><br />Come on down and visit, you’ll find us just to the right of Australia (across the ditch), and if you go too far you’ll end up in the Pacific Ocean.<br />Ross

crab bait

Captain

tahnks ROSS..no borders..!! all water..!! how do the mexicans deal with it..??

Carphunter

Commander

Thanks Ross!<br /><br />Sounds as great as it looks. Its always interesting to compare lifestyles here to other countries.<br /><br />Here in Southern Indiana, I would say we are still pretty hospitable. Lots of farmers where I live, and almost everyone I know is willing to lend a helping hand when needed.<br /><br />Thanks again for the reply Ross.<br /><br />Take care over there. :)

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Hi guys,<br />Ross has pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Auckland is believed to to have the largest fleet of boats per head of population than anywhere else in the world. Boatie's heaven.<br />The local boatbuilding industry is also highly regarded on the world market but many of the US brands are finding a growing market here also.<br />I think that no one is more than 100 miles by road from the coastline at any place in NZ. In the south island the hunting in the Alps is world class with deer, chamois & thar all available.<br />A 34lb brown trout hen was taken from Lake Rotorua this season. Lake Tarawera nearby regularly produces BBBIIIGGG rainbow trout 10lb +.<br /> The Rotorua fishery has more than 14 lakes that all deliver good sport. The south island fishery also includes salmon in the rivers down there. Big snow fed braided river systems, brilliant fishing. <br />The game fishing season has just started offshore also so sometimes its hard to find people at "work". NZ is an outdoor paradise, in many ways we are spoiled for choice.<br />Yes it was pretty neat having our son involved so much with LOTR. He was Tech Support on a system that runs 3400 Intel CPU's on Linux / Unix O/S.<br />Got headhunted to work in London UK last November. He's just come back from 10 days skiing in Austria. Life is tough for them now isnt it.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Peter