bonehead move...pulled plug wire off of cap. Fix?

malverts

Cadet
Hello,

I have improved the "pull harder" impulse in most cases in my life but this past weekend I reverted to the old ways.

I was slowly but firmly pulling the plug wire from the distributor on my 1975 850 after it quit having spark and I pulled a plug wire loose from the cap. To my shame I heard my father's voice running through my head again.

I also removed the coil wire the same way.

Lastly, I saw that the rectifier wires were not hooked up correctly. One of the stator wires was hooked to the power post and the power post was hooked up to one of the stator posts. Your thoughts?

What have I damaged and how do I fix it?

thanks,

Mike

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: bonehead move...pulled plug wire off of cap. Fix?

Find some new wires the easiest, and don't forget this time they screw in

Tadd_P

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah they do screw in unless you have adi ignition (without dist.) as i have they plug in just as a car plug does.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

yeah they do screw in unless you have adi ignition (without dist.) as i have they plug in just as a car plug does.

1975 850 ..I think its upside down distrub..

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Mike as you now know the spark plug wires screw into the dist cap, as does the coil wire. The coil wire pulls out of the coil however.

Go to OldMercs.com for the best price on spark plug leads.

jimmy57

Seaman Apprentice

i did the same on my coil wire the boat shop here has new ends and he just soders them back in wire ends were only a little more then a dollar apeice you can get new ends and crimp them or soder them back on to the wires