sparkplug wires

baysport

Cadet
I have a 1982 johnson 115 that has not had its spark plugs changed in a long long time. How often should I change and what are the effect of using the old ones? thanks for the info, Brad

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: sparkplug wires

I use spark plugs for a full season unless one gives me trouble. My motor sees about 10 to 15 hours a week. I have not ever been able to see any change in the operation of the motor by changing plugs unless it has failed completely.

When I raced cars in my younger days, we would change plugs every run. In those days we were counting tenths and hundreds of a second, still I don't remember when I could say the plug cost me any time.

Molaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the wires appear to be original or have any appearance of deterioration, I'd change them - it is a 25 year old motor. Then you should be good to go for another 25 years.

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

they;re a hard thing to diagnose since they corrode from the inside out. If you dont want to change the entire wire, which you probably should anyways if havent done for a long time as you say, you can always buy new boots, which comes with new springs that attach to the plug. You just cut the old wire back, press the new spring in, spray some WD 40 on it, then slide the new boot over.