Evinrude Question about Model Number

dubnvento

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I thought I was a smart one but apparently not. I just bought a 6HP Mid 80's I believe Evinrude outboard. I can't find a plate on it that has the model and serial number. I also checked the engine and can't find one there eitherr. Can someone help me out to let me know where I can find this plate? I might have not looked hard enough.

Also where do I go to find out the year and so forth once the model number is located?

Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Question about Model Number

If the motor has been painted and theres no tag on the transom bracket, look all over them, look to the motor. WHat you're looking for is a little circle callled a frost plug that is usually silver but sometimes black if painted with some numbers on it about the size of a quarter or dime. It is usually on the top back, but look around, post the numbers and we can tell you the year and model, or you can figure it out yourself by looking at this link. GL

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158074

dubnvento

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I looked again and it definately was a repaint. The only numberr I have been able to locate is on top of the engine which is 312714.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

no quarter sized circle anywhere??

dubnvento

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not that I can see. Is it a sticker or a metal tag? I will put it up on the boat tonight and look some more.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Its not a sticker, actual metal. Try looking on the top backside of the motor. It should have 2 rows of numbers and letters on it. And like i said, about the size of a quarter.

dubnvento

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I still have nothing.

dubnvento

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is what she looks like

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If all the number plates are missing it is a very good indicator that the motor is stolen. The crooks know.