9.8 110 74ish problem

Hi all,
I have a good one for you all. I have a mid 70's 110 9.8 merc. It starts on the first pull and idols fine. The problem is when I get past half throttle it starts spitting and sputtering. I have had the carb cleaned and rebuilt and it still does the same-thing. If I hold it wide open for awhile (like a half an hour) it sometimes picks right up and takes off like a bat out of he!!. I'm getting very frustrated trying to figure this out. My pops is a very knowledgeable mechanic and he is at his wits end as well. I'm not allowed to bring the motor to his garage. Any ideas????
Thanks
Herschel

Laddies

Banned
Re: 9.8 110 74ish problem

Some of the mid 70s small twins had a CD ign. but it was timed with points if it's one of those and the points are OK then the insulater block where the pt. stud goes thur the housing is leaking, it's a were common problem that drives people nuts, the contacts ar high voltage and the stud arcs to grd.

Thanks for the advise I'll look into it soon. If need to replace the points and condenser were do I find them?

Laddies

Banned

The points can be bought thru mercury or sierra but the blocks can only be bought thru mercury and CDI

OK I looked at the points and everything looks all right. As I was out trying to figure it out I got frustrated and put the cowl on a little rough and cut one of the green wires in half. The funny thing is the motor stopped spitting and sputtering and ran great, only on one cylinder but it ran good. What do you think? Is the red boxes the CDI box and do you think that is bad? Also is there any schematics or drawings on-line for these motors?

Laddies

Banned

I didn't say box, I said blocks on each set of points there is a stud that the wires fasten to where the stud goes thru the alumiun casting there is a insulator block, that is what shorts out